cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon 80D freezes up in continuous sports mode until I reinsert battery.

lastone
Apprentice

Brand new Canon 80D freezes up numerous times while I shooting in continuous sports mode.  The camera stops focusing and I cannot depress the shutter button.  I have to take out and replace the battery each time to "restart" it.  I have seen other problems similar to this but with no solution.  Do I have a lemon? Any thoughts?

15 REPLIES 15

I have the same problem with my EOS 80D.  I can be shooting in automatic, or SCN or a couple of others and all of a sudden my shutter freezes and I can't take a shot.  The first time I had to take out the battery.  Now it works if I turn the  camera on and off, of course I miss the shot totally.  

I am an amatuer that is true but my daughter has a 70 and she has never had this problem.  I've had the camera since New Year's Day.  Do I have a lemon?

I also got my camera at Costco.  If the memory card is not sufficient for the Canon EOS 80 D why would this be sold as a package?  Costco made the deal with Canon, I am confident they made their selection on the package they sold with Canon's input and approval.

@Mitzi wrote:

I also got my camera at Costco.  If the memory card is not sufficient for the Canon EOS 80 D why would this be sold as a package?  Costco made the deal with Canon, I am confident they made their selection on the package they sold with Canon's input and approval.

Canon doesn't sell cards.  Blame Costco.  They're the "value added reseller".  Costco assembled the bundle, not Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have an 80D which is set on AV, automatic and ISO set at 8. These are the settings recommended by a friend who is a much better photographer than I will ever be and they generally work pretty well for me.  I am using a Promaster professional 256GB velocity memory card, recommended by my local camera shop. I don't like to have to carry a lot of cards so I prefer to just get one with a lot of memory,  In the past, I was using the same type of card with less memory.  My lens is a Tamron 155/600.  I do shoot in bursts. In the last couple of months, my camera has started to emit a high-pitched squeal, won't focus and it freezes- I can't take a shot, the red light is lit, and it doesn't clear for anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute.  In the meantime, of course, the bird I really needed to get a shot of is long gone.  I have asked several professional photographers who have similar cameras and none have ever had their camera squeal.  It started doing this when I was using the smaller card so I don't think that is the issue. It also freezes when I am scrolling through my pictures, but it doesn't squeal then, although the red light does come on.  Fall migration is starting - help!  Thanks.  

@dl52282 wrote:

I have an 80D which is set on AV, automatic and ISO set at 8. These are the settings recommended by a friend who is a much better photographer than I will ever be and they generally work pretty well for me.  I am using a Promaster professional 256GB velocity memory card, recommended by my local camera shop. I don't like to have to carry a lot of cards so I prefer to just get one with a lot of memory,  In the past, I was using the same type of card with less memory.  My lens is a Tamron 155/600.  I do shoot in bursts. In the last couple of months, my camera has started to emit a high-pitched squeal, won't focus and it freezes- I can't take a shot, the red light is lit, and it doesn't clear for anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute.  In the meantime, of course, the bird I really needed to get a shot of is long gone.  I have asked several professional photographers who have similar cameras and none have ever had their camera squeal.  It started doing this when I was using the smaller card so I don't think that is the issue. It also freezes when I am scrolling through my pictures, but it doesn't squeal then, although the red light does come on.  Fall migration is starting - help!  Thanks.  

I suggest that you try a different lens, preferably a Canon lens, so that we can rule out the third party lens.  I would also suggest that you try a smaller card, 32 FB or less, made by a major manufacturer, so that we can rule out the Brand X memory card.  Make sure that you do a low level format on ANY memory card prior to use in any camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
If Costco is selling Sandisk Ultra cards with the 80D you have too much confidence in Costco's ability to bundle the proper card.
Announcements