cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Camera

ifly2
Contributor

Any one ever order from Abes of Maine ? Wantig a 7 DII . I have alwas used Adaroma or B&H. Why is there no deals on the 7DII ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Of course Bob's answer is spot on.

On an aside, Abe's doesn't have a very good reputation.  They are known for bait and switch tactics.  I hope you get your stuff, but be prepared to pro-actively manage your order to ensure timely processing and delivery.  If someone calls and asks you to change, upgrade or buy a kit with your purchase, you'll see what I am talking about.  I hope this is not the case, but there are a high number of issues reported by others where this has happened.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Avoid Abe's of Maine.  If you already ordered cancel it ASAP. Call your CC company if Abe's can't or won't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Why is there no deals on the 7DII ?"

Answer...........

"Possibly because it has no obvious successor on the way."

That would be a poor reason, IMHO.  If the 7 series is at a dead end and the R replaces it, it still would need to be culled out of stores so the R could sell more easily. But I agree there is likely to be no more 7 models.

The APS-C sensor will soon be delegated to Rebels until they too are replaced.

EB

11 REPLIES 11

@ifly2 wrote:

Any one ever order from Abes of Maine ? Wantig a 7 DII . I have alwas used Adaroma or B&H. Why is there no deals on the 7DII ?

Possibly because it has no obvious successor on the way. I think most of us suspect that the 7D series will be replaced by a mirrorless line. One might even argue that it's already happened, inasmuch as the R series can accommodate EF-S lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Of course Bob's answer is spot on.

On an aside, Abe's doesn't have a very good reputation.  They are known for bait and switch tactics.  I hope you get your stuff, but be prepared to pro-actively manage your order to ensure timely processing and delivery.  If someone calls and asks you to change, upgrade or buy a kit with your purchase, you'll see what I am talking about.  I hope this is not the case, but there are a high number of issues reported by others where this has happened.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Avoid Abe's of Maine.  If you already ordered cancel it ASAP. Call your CC company if Abe's can't or won't.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Why is there no deals on the 7DII ?"

Answer...........

"Possibly because it has no obvious successor on the way."

That would be a poor reason, IMHO.  If the 7 series is at a dead end and the R replaces it, it still would need to be culled out of stores so the R could sell more easily. But I agree there is likely to be no more 7 models.

The APS-C sensor will soon be delegated to Rebels until they too are replaced.

EB

I did not order it just wondred how they could be so much cheaper, Thanks everyone.

@ifly2 wrote:

I did not order it just wondred how they could be so much cheaper, Thanks everyone.

Typically when you see cheaper cameras they are what is called "gray market". This means that they were not imported into the US via Canon USA but by an alternate, unoffical means. They will not have a Canon USA warranty, but come with the seller warranty or a third party warranty company. They are exactly the same as a Canon USA camera.

Besides not having a Canon USA warranty Canon could possible not even repair it if needed even if you were paying.

I have never purchased gray market, but my cameras never needed warranty work in the first year, so I would have been OK.

There are inumerable posts on the web about gray market. Canon seems to be liberal in their actual parctise of warranty work and repair work on gray market products, but the don't have to be and certainly could be more rigorous.

Nikon is reported to be very strict - no warranty work and no paid repairs.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"They are exactly the same as a Canon USA camera."

The contents of the box will be different. You might not even get an English manual.

"Nikon is reported to be very strict - no warranty work and no paid repairs."

My Nikons were all legit so I never had any issue but I was told by friends that did skirt the US market that Nikon will not service a grey market camera even if you are willing to pay for it. But Nikon CS is not Canon CS by a long shot, so who knows?

EB

Although differences in built-in support and marketing costs across markets allows sellers to profit from gray market goods while selling at a lower price than the "white" market product, the difference in product cost is usually not that great so a really large price differential means there are probably other shenanigans being pulled by the seller.  A common ploy with gray market products sold by sketchy retailers is to pull the legitimate standard included accessories (batteries, AC adapter, etc.) which are then replaced by cheaper aftermarket products.  The seller then sells these OEM products to other buyers as part of their business plan.

Some very legitimate retailers like B&H sell some items they refer to as "imported" but these are identical to the products intended for that market and are clearly indicated as sold with a B&H warranty.  B&H doesn't play any games with what is included so it is a safe place to purchase if you want to try gray market goods.  Other retailers dance around the source of their products and I wouldn't advise anyone to do business with that type of merchant who, unlike B&H, doesn't put a lot of emphasis on honesty.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

https://photographylife.com/gray-market-camera-gear

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements