cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Body or New Lens? Looking for Suggestions...

LandscapeFan
Apprentice

I am a relatively newer photographer, but very excited about it...

I have an EOS Rebel T3i and it has served me well to help me learn the basics... Then a year ago, I decided to seriously upgrade lenses... so I splurged on the EF 24-70mm f2.8L II USM Lens...  Same body.

I am especially a fan of landscape photography and my main complaint has been that it doesn't seem wide enough to get me what I am looking for...  So I was looking at lenses again and there is the new crazy wide angle 11-14mm from Canon that seems to be amazing, but again, probably overkill in terms of expense...The Sigma 12-24mm seems like a more reasonable choice...

However, then I realized that I am getting a 1.6x crop factor with my Rebel - yes I am kind of a novice... and thought perhaps I should probably upgrade my body to the 6D instead... 

That is where I am leaning... I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions from all you experts out there...!

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

I'm not much of a landscape photographer & I own the first version on the Sigma 12-24 which I like BUT I think you'd be better served by the 6D for now and once you see what it does with your lens then maybe look into an even wider lens.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I'm not much of a landscape photographer & I own the first version on the Sigma 12-24 which I like BUT I think you'd be better served by the 6D for now and once you see what it does with your lens then maybe look into an even wider lens.

I concur. Your 24-70 is too long to be an effective landscape lens on a crop camera. And the "even wider lens" to which Cicopo alludes could be the 16-35mm f/4L Note that f/4 is plenty fast for landscape photography; only if you go into event photography (especially indoors) are you likely to need something faster.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ScottyP
Authority
Agree. All day long.

I have never before recommended body over lens but in this case you have the spectacular full frame lens and it is too wide on a crop, and you were about to need another lens, a crop one, to fix the problem with your crop body. Just get a full frame camera and eliminate the problem.

And the 6d can be had quite reasonably now.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Agree. All day long.

I have never before recommended body over lens but in this case you have the spectacular full frame lens and it is too wide on a crop,
Not wide enough.
and you were about to need another lens, a crop one, to fix the problem with your crop body. Just get a full frame camera and eliminate the problem.

And the 6d can be had quite reasonably now.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The EF 16-35mm f/4L would solve the angle of view problem for landscape... it's $1100 (currently with a $100 mail-in rebate).  

But the 6D is $1400 for a "body only" -- not too much more.  

A full frame camera would really take advantage of your high-end glass (not to mention the ISO performance is amazing vs. your current T3i).

I use a 5D III, but my favorite lens for landscape is the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II -- a tilt-shift lens.  I find 24mm to be a very nice angle of view for landscape photography on a full-frame camera (and tilt-shift lenses have an advantage in landscape and archtecture photography.)  I think you'll be happy with the 24mm focal length if it's on a full-frame body.

Otherwise, go for the aforementioned 16-35mm f/4.  There's a 16-35mm f/2.8, but usually in landscape photography you want a rich depth of field to maximize focus... which means you probably wont be using any of the lower f-stops.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Oops. Thanks Robert. Not wide enough.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I know many here are L series fans when it comes to EF type lenses but the Sigma 12-24 is a pretty good lens relative to cost & it's WIDE

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Refurb Canon 6D on sale here: http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-6d-body-re...

Since you have the T3i if you call Canon heir Loyalty Program will give you a discount.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone...!  I think it's official I will be pursuing the 6D... thanks again!

Announcements