cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 90D built in flash problem

JRC
Contributor

In Movie Mode the built in flash still pops up.
It should be automatically disabled in Movie Mode I believe.
Is that a defect? I think so.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JRC
Contributor

Okay, supposedly this is a "feature" of the 90D. Flash can pop up in any mode.
This was not the case with the 70D which allows the flash pop up button to be disabled and remapped
for a different function. That's progress.
Thank you for the comments and assistance. 
JRC, over and out.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have "disco flash" focus assist turned on? That might be why it is popping up. Try turning it off.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Do you have "disco flash" focus assist turned on? That might be why it is popping up. Try turning it off.

So funny  LoL!  Thanks KV got a good chuckle before walking out the door. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, that's been turned off since day one.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its true, the flash cannot be used while recording movies.  Page 163 of the 90D's Manual

To confirm, I would recommend resetting the camera to default setings and with the flash down, change to Movie Mode.  If it pops up, you might have found a bug.  If not, you might have changed something or in conjuction with other settings (like exposure compensation) which caused the behavior.  Should be fairly easy to determine.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

JRC
Contributor
Thank you for your comment.
I'll try a reset and post a reply later.

JRC
Contributor
I did a camera reset. No change, flash still able to pop up in Movie Mode. Defect.

Bug, not defect.  Since the camera is new, I'd contact Canon.  They could fix in a subsequent FW release. 

They won't however, if they don't know about it or its not reported. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

JRC
Contributor
Thanks, Canon is aware of it.

Even though the flash can't be used when shooting video, is it possible that the auto-focus assist beam (or "disco flash" if you prefer) can be enabled as a focus assist for low-light video shooting?

Announcements