cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 7D2 AF's aperture, f5.6 or f8?

XL5555
Apprentice
I've been reading and seeing conflicting reports on what aperture the New Canon 7D Mark II AF will still work. I've searched and searched but I've seen nothing in writing from Canon. It's either f5.6 or f8---- really hoping it's f8. Can someone assist
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

I haven't read it yet but the link here takes you to a PDF that should clear that up.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1398276

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

XL5555
Apprentice
Thank you--very helpful and the literature you forwarded did confirm that the center cross type group of 5 will be able to AF to f8 with the use of extenders. Most likely it'll be much slower than f5.6, but it'll still be available which is a plus.
I did send in the exact same technical question to Canon Support--this was their response "Since the camera was only just announced and is not available yet, we do not have any specific information about the sensitivity of the AF system with extenders attached. Most of our cameras are sensitive to f/8, so there is a strong possibility this one will be too, but this information will not be available until much closer to the release of this model."
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

@XL5555 wrote:
Thank you--very helpful and the literature you forwarded did confirm that the center cross type group of 5 will be able to AF to f8 with the use of extenders. Most likely it'll be much slower than f5.6, but it'll still be available which is a plus.
I did send in the exact same technical question to Canon Support--this was their response "Since the camera was only just announced and is not available yet, we do not have any specific information about the sensitivity of the AF system with extenders attached. Most of our cameras are sensitive to f/8, so there is a strong possibility this one will be too, but this information will not be available until much closer to the release of this model."

Sounds like an honest answer: They haven't yet decided whether to claim sensitivity at f/8 and won't until they do some more testing. One supposes that if their initial expectations aren't confirmed, that fact could be indicated by a firmware update adding or removing a warning message, soon after release of the camera to the public.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

PLee
Enthusiast

Only the center point will be f/8 AF capable on the 7Dm2. With a f/5.6 lens and a 1.4 extender, you will drop to half of normal AF speed.

Announcements