cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 6D2 owner coming from a t5i

mlamb01
Contributor

After owning a t5i with the 18-55 kit lens for four years, I upgraded to the 6D2 with the 24-105mm IS II F4.  Big improvement over the t5i.  I shoot in raw and use lightroom to process my photos.

I've noticed that when I zoom in 1:1 in lightroom, images that I thought looked sharp when fit to screen have a smooth grainy appearance, especially on skin tones.  I didn't really see this with the t5i, it would just be noise instead.

On the t5i I usually kept the ISO at 400 or below, sometimes 800 occasionally.  Right before switching over to the 6D2 I discovered how to use manual with the shutter and apature set, and the ISO set to auto to allow it to adjust the exposure for me.  I'm doing that on the 6D2 as well, and I set the max ISO to 6400.  My shots on the 6D2 have usually been somewhere in the 1000 to 6400 ISO range.

Is going from a crop sensor to a full frame going to give me a grainy skin tones when I zoom in 1:1?  What should I expect tranisitioning from a t5i to a 6D2?  I just worry what is this going to look like if a client makes a large print with it.  

18 REPLIES 18

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 6D Mk II should be cleaner. My guess is you are only seeing the difference between zooming in on an 18mp image vs a 24mp image.  You are probably zooming in too much. 

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mlamb01 wrote:

After owning a t5i with the 18-55 kit lens for four years, I upgraded to the 6D2 with the 24-105mm IS II F4.  Big improvement over the t5i.  I shoot in raw and use lightroom to process my photos.

I've noticed that when I zoom in 1:1 in lightroom, images that I thought looked sharp when fit to screen have a smooth grainy appearance, especially on skin tones.  I didn't really see this with the t5i, it would just be noise instead.

On the t5i I usually kept the ISO at 400 or below, sometimes 800 occasionally.  Right before switching over to the 6D2 I discovered how to use manual with the shutter and apature set, and the ISO set to auto to allow it to adjust the exposure for me.  I'm doing that on the 6D2 as well, and I set the max ISO to 6400.  My shots on the 6D2 have usually been somewhere in the 1000 to 6400 ISO range.

Is going from a crop sensor to a full frame going to give me a grainy skin tones when I zoom in 1:1?  What should I expect tranisitioning from a t5i to a 6D2?  I just worry what is this going to look like if a client makes a large print with it.  

Compare how the images look using the Canon DIgital Photo Professional 4 software.  Post sample images of the issue.

You should compare photos with similar, if not identical, exposure settings.  It goes without saying the the comparison photos shoud be of the same subject,

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have not had the chance to do a comparison like where I take the same shot with each camera.  A little later I will post one of the images here.  What's the proper protocol for that?  Raw file?  Jpg?  Full resolution?

I'm not saying these images don't look great when fit to screen(25" monitor 2560x1440).  But when I cull my images I like to zoom in 1:1 and check the sharpness of the focus.  When I look at the face it just seems soft and grainy, but clothing around the neck and face will be sharp.

Is it just going to look softer zooming in 1:1 on a 26 mp full frame image vs an 18 mp crop sensor image?  Focusing was done using live view with face tracking mode.  I set the 6D2 to do back button focusing, with one shot focusing on.

And yes, I do like to obsess over the details.

So I feel like detail is being lost in the shadow areas.  Like for example in the shadow on the sides of her jaw.  Some things appear very sharp, like the bag she is holding, and some of the strands of hair.  But in some of the shadow areas, even on her hands, I feel like there should be more detail visible. 

For this image I shot it at:

F4, 50mm, 1/125 ss, and 2500 ISO

Only tweak I made to it in lightroom was setting the exposure to -.34, cropping it slightly, and no lens corrections.

IMG_0817.jpg

A technique to try with Lightroom is to:

1. open up trhe shadows with the shadows slider

2. hold down the shift key and doubl click the word Blacks and Whites in the develop module to set the black and white point

3. hold down the alt key (Windows) or option key (Mac) and move the highlight sllder until you just see white areas appear on the black background

I didn't do anything more that that above here:

Forum.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Wow, thanks!  That really helped to bring out detail in the sweater.  Is there a cheat sheet somewhere with all of these lightroom shortcuts?

What version of Lightroom are you using?

The current version of Lr Classic has a very good Auto tool in the develop module.

Selecting Auto and adjusting with the steps I listed above should give you a good starting point to start fine tuning your image.

There are also many good YouTube channels with advice - Scott Kelby and Anthony Morganti are two, along with Adobe's own channel. Julianne Kost is a great instructor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'm using 6.14, the last one with a perpetual license.

Oh. That makes a difference.

I don't think the "good" auto tool was in that version. But the steps I listed above will work.

Others may feel differently, but in your post you talked about "clients".

If you are selling your work surely you can/should spend $10/month for the latest Lightroom. There are many significant/worthwhile features in the latest version. That is MHO. I believe there is a free trial period to see for yourself.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements