Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

New 60D image numbering system

My friend just purchased a new 60D. After taking 100 photos she up loaded them onto her computer. The image numbering system started at 0720 ? Seems to me that a new out of the box camera should start at 0001. 

Am I wrong?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New 60D image numbering system

Yes - a new "out of the box" factory camera will immedaitely ask you to set the timezone, date & time (there's a small "coin" type battery that retains the date/time even when the main battery is not in the camera -- but it does not ship with that date/time/time-zone set) and also the first image number will be 0001.

The camera has been used for something.  Did your friend by this as a "refurbished" camera?

Cameras are generally not in "sealed" boxes -- so they're easily opened and inspected at a camera store, but usually a camera store would have a demo unit.  If for any reason I sample test photo were taken with a camera, one would certainly not expect it to be 720.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da