cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Captdanno
Enthusiast

Went from Rebel to 5d M3, big jump I know.. Camera coming today any firmware advice? I guess I need to see what version I have on camera first.

45 REPLIES 45

@mitch236 wrote:

I'm new to this forum so don't really understand why we are bickering over this.  The fact is, I haven't seen any current offering from Canon of a zoom lens that has an aperture of 1.2 (or 1.4) which you can get from Canon as a prime. My fastest zooms are 2.8.   Perhaps stating it that way you will understand my reasoning  behind the choice to buy a prime lens as opposed to buying zooms.  As for whether you think that aperture is necessary for your work is simply your opinion.

Obviously this is the case and you will find that some individuals are not content to let you have your opinion without being hassled.

Bob from Boston,

You need to realize, as most don't, a f1.2 is only 1/2 stop faster than the more common f1.4.  It is not all that "fast".

The EF 50mm f1.2 does have extremely shallow DOF when used at f1.2.  One must take that into consideration as you said.

If you don't have at least 1 stop difference, you aren't talking much of a gain.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, I sold my 50mm f1.2 but lately I have been toying with buying another one. (They aren't cheap!)  It's just the fact it isn't a friendly lens anymore.

I still have a 50mm f1.4 in both Canon and Sigma but don't use either very often.

Of course it may be do to the fact I use only 1 series cameras now.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

You need to realize, as most don't, a f1.2 is only 1/2 stop faster than the more common f1.4.  It is not all that "fast".

The EF 50mm f1.2 does have extremely shallow DOF when used at f1.2.  One must take that into consideration as you said.

If you don't have at least 1 stop difference, you aren't talking much of a gain.

So basically, you're saying that the 50mm F/1.2L is just like the 50mm F/1.4? Wow, you've been out of the loop.

"It might be amusing to have people send in pictures with no Exif data and let the purists try to guess which ones were taken with a zoom lens and which ones with a prime."

It certainly would.  Smiley Very Happy  Especially by some of the keyboard photographers.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It might be amusing to have people send in pictures with no Exif data and let the purists try to guess which ones were taken with a zoom lens and which ones with a prime."

It certainly would.  Smiley Very Happy  Especially by some of the keyboard photographers.

Ohhh., I want to know.. am I a keyboard photographer? Enquiring minds want to know. 🙂

"... assuming 24 to 105 zoom is not ideal?"

Why wouldn't it be?  It is just fine.  Keep it over 75mm.  Smiley Happy

For the vast percentage of us, zooms are the way to go and this is a very good one.  Regardless of what someone may have said.

EB

That's all good news to me, kinda spent enough already on the two lenses so I will see how they work out for me, so far I have been very impressed with the canon L lens 24/105 and the 70/200 iS II

Check this out:  EF 24-70mm f2.8 L

5D Mk II

f2.8 @ 1/60

43mm

ISO 100

There did I break enough of the so-called rules for you?IMG_0655a.jpg

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Check this out:  EF 24-70mm f2.8 L

5D Mk II

@F2.8 @ 1/60

43mm

ISO 100

There did I break enough of the so-called rules for you?

The only rule I can see that you may have broken is, "Never let your softbox reflect in the subject's eyes."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements