Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-13-2014

New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Went from Rebel to 5d M3, big jump I know.. Camera coming today any firmware advice? I guess I need to see what version I have on camera first.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎02-28-2013

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Congrats on the new camera.

 

In general, I would always look to see what firmware my equipment is and check to see if there's an update that I want.  I didn't bother to update my 6D because I didn't speak whatever language the error was in.  But unlike the 6D, Canon actually cares about fixing/upgrading the 5D3.  The last firmware upgrade was significant, IMHO, allowing up to f/8 on the center point.  If the 5d3 isn't current, I would update it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,552
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way


@Skirball wrote:

Congrats on the new camera.

 

In general, I would always look to see what firmware my equipment is and check to see if there's an update that I want.  I didn't bother to update my 6D because I didn't speak whatever language the error was in.  But unlike the 6D, Canon actually cares about fixing/upgrading the 5D3.  The last firmware upgrade was significant, IMHO, allowing up to f/8 on the center point.  If the 5d3 isn't current, I would update it.


The most recent firmware update (1.2.3) came out last October. I recently bought a new 5D3, and it was at that level when I received it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-13-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Thank you for your reply, I must say I am a bit surprised on what I see on the forums regarding the firmware on this camera. I hope I have made the correct decision in my Canon purchase.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,552
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way


@Captdanno wrote:
Thank you for your reply, I must say I am a bit surprised on what I see on the forums regarding the firmware on this camera. I hope I have made the correct decision in my Canon purchase.

I don't know what they've been saying, but the 5D3 is a fine camera. I think you'll be impressed by its performance. A very large cohort of professional and semi-professional photographers use it intensively. If it weren't a good choice, they couldn't afford to stick with it.

 

Many of us have found that the 24-105mm f/4L is a nice, affordable general-purpose lens on a 5D3. You might want to consider it if you don't already have one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-13-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎02-28-2013

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way


@Captdanno wrote:
Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think

That's one helluva upgrade.  Congrats, it's a top notch kit and should last you a good long while.  Toss in a fast prime and a wide angle and you'll be set.  Maybe a couple flashes and some triggers.  And a good tripod and a head.  You'll probably want some filters, and maybe a macro lens...  heh, welcome to club  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-13-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Thanks, the list keeps growing, I like the idea of a fast prime may the 50mm or 85. Traded one hobby for another so diving in fast.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,552
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way


@Captdanno wrote:
Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think

Absolutely. I have those two, plus a recently purchased 16-35mm f/4L. I've had my 5D3 for only a couple of months, but I'm looking forward to many years of good use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,552
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: New 5d Mark 3 on the way


@Skirball wrote:

@Captdanno wrote:
Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think

That's one helluva upgrade.  Congrats, it's a top notch kit and should last you a good long while.  Toss in a fast prime and a wide angle and you'll be set.  Maybe a couple flashes and some triggers.  And a good tripod and a head.  You'll probably want some filters, and maybe a macro lens...  heh, welcome to club  Smiley Wink


By "club", she means, of course, the Future Paupers of America.   Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement