cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5d Mark 3 on the way

Captdanno
Enthusiast

Went from Rebel to 5d M3, big jump I know.. Camera coming today any firmware advice? I guess I need to see what version I have on camera first.

45 REPLIES 45

Hush, Bob from Boston, I don't want everybody to see that.  This was a cull so the young lady did not take this one.

You didn't notice I used the wrong lens?  I used a very wide open aperture?  And the worse sin, I was at 43mm !  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Impressive results

What I am trying to point out, is to use what works.  The rest is just numbers and primes are no longer king.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

What I am trying to point out, is to use what works.  The rest is just numbers and primes are no longer king.

Things are getting pretty gushie around here and someone's been drinking a little too much magic zoom koolaid...

Name a single manufacturer of lenses whose finest, most optically perfect lens isn't a prime. ....primes are no longer king my ...

@Captdanno wrote:
That's all good news to me, kinda spent enough already on the two lenses so I will see how they work out for me, so far I have been very impressed with the canon L lens 24/105 and the 70/200 iS II

You're used to APS-C sizes...  70-85 is a great FL for portraits on full frame.  Really, 70-200 is a great FL for portraits when you have the space.  200mm with IS is fantastic for outdoor portraits, lots of compression and buttery smooth bokeh on distant trees and whatnot.

Personally I don't care for using the 24-105 for portraiture, but that's because I have sharper and faster primes.  However, the 70-200 IS II is truly that great of a lens that it can compete with primes in sharpness, and 2.8 is fast enough for most uses.

As we discussed above, some people like myself like to work with primes, others with zooms.  And there are some things that primes can do that zooms can't but that gap has been shrinking, especially with the 70-200 II.  You're setup is extremely good.  There might be some nitche things that new lenses can do better, but your setup isn't going to hold you back, not for some time anyway.  Go out and shoot and have fun.

@Captdanno wrote:
Good to hear Bob, I paired the. 5d3 with the 24 105 f4 AND the 70 200 2.8 IS Ii, a little overlap but it's a great start I think

Absolutely. I have those two, plus a recently purchased 16-35mm f/4L. I've had my 5D3 for only a couple of months, but I'm looking forward to many years of good use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements