cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 5D Mark III noise all over

layline09
Contributor

Just started shooting with my new Mark III and I'm shocked at the noise throughout my shots. These were just "go outside and shoot" tests.  Most f11 ISO 100 shot raw.markIII-1.jpg I had a 5D that I traded and have many shots to compare with. I'm thinking I've got some setting wrong or something. Can someone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, so the polarizer is responsible for knocking down the light by the better part of 2 stops.  That makes more sense.

I don't have Lightroom, but I'm wondering if you can run the RAW image through Canon Digital Photo Professional (it came with your camera) and let us know how it looks.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ezpop
Rising Star

I saw that thread. Offered no answer that I could see.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I would need to know more about this.   The image posted here isn't large enough to inspect.

Something is very wrong here and I don't think it's the camera.  I do see the noise in the sky and this image has been substantially reduced in size... that amount of resampling is akin to "binning" and would have killed all evidence of noise even at somewhat high ISO.

So we need to figure out what went wrong by retracing your processing steps.

After you shot this, how did you import and process it?  Specifically, what software did you use?  ALL RAW images must be de-bayered and the software you use will make a difference.  

Did you apply ANY adjustments to this at all?

The EXIF data tells me you are shooting this at ISO 100,  f/11 & 1/60th... which is baffling because the middle of a sunny day (it says you took this at 1:31pm) would be ISO 100, f/16, & 1/100th... and at f/11 it should be 1/200th.  This should be over-exposed by nearly 2 stops (the sun is VERY consistent about the amount of light we get in mid-afternoon on a cloudless day).

That makes me wonder... are you using a filter (a 2 stop ND filter perhaps?)  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Photo was taken with PL filter on it. Used a card reader ( I changed card reader once) to get photos into LR 5. No real developement done, just exported jif -sized to this website. I'm stumped and worried it's the camera.

Ok, so the polarizer is responsible for knocking down the light by the better part of 2 stops.  That makes more sense.

I don't have Lightroom, but I'm wondering if you can run the RAW image through Canon Digital Photo Professional (it came with your camera) and let us know how it looks.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I just did that. I've never used it...always used PS6 or LR5. This is what it should look like! No noise! What happened?

I then saved the file as a tiff and opened it in LR5. Still looks bad there. Ok, found why it looks bad in LR5 but isn't. In lightroom Library there is a spot on the right where one can set presets next to quick develop menu. It had been changed to "medium grain". Don't know why. Returned it to defaults and image is now the same as in Digital Photo Prof. I was hoping it was something simple, just didn't think it was in LR5 that I've always used with other Canons; 20D, 5D. Sorry to be a bother. Your help got me to the right place. Thanks

Announcements