cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neutral Density Filters And Use of Canon EOS 5DS R

hpk
Apprentice

Have the Mark III - May get the 5DSR - Has anyone used the 5DSR with Neutral Density Filters 6,10,15 etc.. and what have been the timing lengths used- and outcomes?

Any noise issues?  Other problems noted?

9 REPLIES 9

@hpk wrote:

Have the Mark III - May get the 5DSR - Has anyone used the 5DSR with Neutral Density Filters 6,10,15 etc.. and what have been the timing lengths used- and outcomes?

Any noise issues?  Other problems noted?

Not really an answer to your question, but since the 5DsR is a very high-resolution camera, you can expect to need a very high-quality filter in order to obtain the best results.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I haven't used tat combo either but I am curious to know why you think it would cause any problems?  Surely not any more so than the Mk III.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I haven't used tat combo either but I am crious to know why you thnk it woulod cause any problems?  Surely not any more so than the Mk III.

I have little doubt that, as B from B noted, that the camera will mercilessly capture any flaws in the ND filter, or any filter for that matter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well it goes without saying, you want the best of everything you can get but I see no real reason the Mk IV EOS 5DS R will exhibit any problems.  We must assume the OP will buy top quality accessories for a Mk IV EOS 5DS R.  It makes little sense to buy a Mk IV EOS 5DS R and use junk with it!  I haven't used the Mk IV EOS 5DS R as admitted but I have used a 36mp camera (some claim a better sensor than the Mk IV EOS 5DS R) and there is no issue with ND filters.

Edited post! Smiley Embarassed

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Well it goes without saying, you want the best of everything you can get but I see no real reason the Mk IV will exhibit any problems.  We must assume the OP will buy top quality accessories for a Mk IV.  It makes little sense to buy a Mk IV and use junk with it!  I haven't used the Mk IV as admitted but I have used a 36mp camera (some claim a better sensor than the Mk IV) and there is no issue with ND filters.

Er ... When did the discussion shift from the 5DsR to the Mk IV?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Oh for Pete's sake, see edited post!  Smiley Embarassed

Well it goes without saying, you want the best of everything you can get but I see no real reason the Mk IV EOS 5DS R will exhibit any problems.  We must assume the OP will buy top quality accessories for a Mk IV EOS 5DS R.  It makes little sense to buy a Mk IV EOS 5DS R and use junk with it!  I haven't used the Mk IV EOS 5DS R as admitted but I have used a 36mp camera (some claim a better sensor than the Mk IV EOS 5DS R) and there is no issue with ND filters.

EB

hpk
Apprentice

Thank you for your thoughts all.  I had read form some post that because of the camera ability to capture high pixels that it would show more issues / noise---  Thats why I posted here to see if anyone has tried such.  just a question but your right  why would it over the other cameras!

Yes, quality filters a must,

-------------------

I heard from G Dan Mitchell, - Dan Mitchell photography - he has used such combos and as we suspected no more then other  5d versions from the sensor.  Good to know!

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I have the 5DsR, I use Hoya ND filters all stops through 10, also Hoya CP HD3, keep them clean with a lens pen made for filters.
I have experienced that compared to my 7D, there really isn't enough to be concerned about, the settings you used before, use again, all of the commentary is correct, better grade products go hand in hand with each other, the last thing you would do is degrade the optics.

poluslevi
Apprentice

I use a 15 stop lee super stopper. I have taken longer exposures than 7 minutes at iso 100 and the noise is easily removed in photoshop. It's not a sony, but it works well, I think.

Announcements