cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Buy Canon Camera Advice

messi4710
Apprentice

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner to photographing. In the near future, I want to buy myself a long-term camera with about $ 1,000. Are you aiming for me 70d vs len 18-55. According to everyone, I should buy a new one always good to buy old body and lens

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It would help us to know what your photographic intentions are:

1.  What types of things do you want to photograph?  E.g. social stuff and general-purpose photography), sports, wildlife - especially birds and mega-mammals)...

2.  What types of output will you generate?  WIll you post your images on social media or on media screens like phones, tablets or TV's, or do you intend to produce prints - if so, small ones (say 5"x7") or something bigger?

3.  Do you want to take video and if so which is the main activity - video or stills?

Answering these question for a start will help people on the forum to guide your choice.

cheers

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Excellent advice/questions from Tronhard because a camera that works well for most uses may not be the one best suited for your specific wants/needs.

I am a big believer in buying the best glass you can afford because a good lens will last through several body upgrades, especially in the still fairly rapidly evolving digital photography world.  

Most things depreciate rapidly so carefully shopping for lightly used equipment can be a good decision.  I picked up one of my most frequently used lenses, a Canon 300mm 2.8, used but in near mint condition at about 40% of the new street price.  It works perfectly and was a good purchase.  Last football season I picked up a lightly used 1DX (12,000 shutter count when I bought it) as a second body to my 1DX Mark II from a friend who was getting out of photography and it was an excellent buy.  After a recent conference, my high school sophomore daughter started working with a college prof on a government funded project to mathematically model certain risks to military personnel and she was starting to heavily use my HP Z820 workstation so last week I bought her a used near identically equipped model to mine.  The one I picked up for her had an original delivered price of over $7,000 in 2014 but I paid $800 for it in excellent condition which is about what one would pay for a current new typical PC which wouldn't provide the build quality and performance of a Z series dual processor workstation.

The Canon refurb offerings are a good mix between used and new since they come with the support from Canon although pricing is higher than regular used gear.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The Canon Refurbished Store is an excellent suggestion. So is buying a new camera

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

I suggest the 80D kit.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@messi4710 wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner to photographing. In the near future, I want to buy myself a long-term camera with about $ 1,000. Are you aiming for me 70d vs len 18-55. According to everyone, I should buy a new one always good to buy old body and lens

I would not buy a 70D if I were you. That model was known for an overheating problem that too often caused damage to the main circuit board. If you can swing it, take Waddizzle's advice and buy a new or refurbished 80D

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I shall hold back on my own suggestions until we get more information from the OP.  I can easily say what I would suggest but whether that translates into benefits for their purposes is the big question.

I will say, supporting other comments, that if you are in the USA then looking at refubished gear is a very good idea.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements