cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions for beginner...

M0710NM4N
Contributor

Let me first say that I want a full body camera and not interested in a point n shoot. With that in mind, I want whatever would have the best Auto Mode. I'll learn as I go, but looking to purchase right away and planning a trip to Disney World. Also interested in lenses for macro, telescopic and wide angle. A lot of pictures would be at night, so maybe something that was good at night and low light conditions.

And one final thought would be if there is anything that's waterproof or at least water resistant as rain can happen out of the blue as I've been caught in it on previous trips to Disney. Money isn't much of a concern, but of course I don't want to buy the top of the line, only to find out I could have spent 1/2 of that or less and gotten what I wanted/needed. Appriciate the help.

11 REPLIES 11

M0710NM4N
Contributor
No budget constraints, I was just shocked at the amount for that lens. Is the R not better than the RP? And I would really prefer right now to stick with native lenses and once I get back from my trip I can look into picking up whatever else I think I will need in regards to lenses in the RF lineup.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Now for the correct answer.......

"I suggest a 1Dx Mark II camera body with a EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM for your trip to Disney World."

Has no 'auto' mode. Has no wi-fi.  It is very big and it is very expensive. It really is not a good choice for a non-pro photographer. If you still insist on a FF body that only leaves two choices the 6D Mk II and the 5D Mk IV.  There is no way I can recommend any mirrorless camera at this time. 

"I don't want to buy the top of the line, only to find out I could have spent 1/2 of that or less ..."

Where, erroneously, did you get the idea you needed a FF camera? For the vast majority of amateur photographers a Rebel, like the T7i will do an admirable job. Plus it will do so at a fraction of the price of a FF. If you do desire a more robust camera the 80D is an outstanding choice.

"... anything that's waterproof or at least water resistant ..."

None of these options is water 'proof'.  All are water resistant to a degree with the 1D Mk II the most resistant.  The good camera bag you intend to buy along with the camera is where it belongs if it rains.

If I were you, today, I would check out the Rebel T7i and the 80D.  If you so desire do not buy it with the kit lens. Get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens instead.   This is a separate purchase since that very good lens is not offered in a kit. This is an outstanding combo and it is less than half the price of the top FF bodies alone.

Otherwise still wanting to go FF, check out the 6D Mk II. You will want the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens with it.

"...  interested in lenses for macro, telescopic and wide angle. A lot of pictures would be at night, ..."

Keep in mind these are just for starters since you mentioned other photographic interests which will require more and different lenses. Either combo will get you through Disney World with excellent results.  Excluding the 1DX Mk II, these will not break the bank and won't weigh as much as a Mac truck at the end fo the day.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements