cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions for beginner...

M0710NM4N
Contributor

Let me first say that I want a full body camera and not interested in a point n shoot. With that in mind, I want whatever would have the best Auto Mode. I'll learn as I go, but looking to purchase right away and planning a trip to Disney World. Also interested in lenses for macro, telescopic and wide angle. A lot of pictures would be at night, so maybe something that was good at night and low light conditions.

And one final thought would be if there is anything that's waterproof or at least water resistant as rain can happen out of the blue as I've been caught in it on previous trips to Disney. Money isn't much of a concern, but of course I don't want to buy the top of the line, only to find out I could have spent 1/2 of that or less and gotten what I wanted/needed. Appriciate the help.

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You have quite a shopping list for one camera...  Starting with the last issue, rain.  Your cheapest solution is to get a decent waterproof cover for whatever camera you decide to get.

What precisely do you mean by a "full body camera"?  Do  you mean a camera with full controls or a full-frame body camera?

What is your intention with regards photography: is this something you intend to invest time, effort and money in or do you just want to deal with the odd trip somewhere?  If you are going to take on photography seriously then you will be buying into a sytem and that has implications for you starting choices.

What is your intended output?  By which I mean what will you do with your images: make big prints, small prints, put on a digital device or publish on the web.   As you go from left to right on that list the performance requirement reduce for your camera and thus your investment.

What are you prepared to carry?   Your iist of things to capture is wide enough to justify several lenses, so do you have any issues taking (and looking after) a camera bag?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

M0710NM4N
Contributor
Full-frame body is what I meant.

I plan on taking some classes in the not so distant future, but that won't be till after my trip. I want to eventually start a small business like weddings, local sporting events that I could possible sell prints to the local news etc etc. My trip to Disney is going to be sooner than I can take classes, but figured I could at least get use to some of the basics. But don't want to take any chances with ruining and memorable shots, so want to be sure it has a decent Auto System to fall back on and can worry about learning all the bells and whistles down the road.

As for output... well pretty much anything and everything including video (4K would be a +).

And for sure plan on picking up a decent camera bag to lug everything around with lenses, spare batteries etc etc...

Since you are just beginning on your journey but have asperations for the future I would suggest going for Canon's new mirrorless system based on the Canon R series of bodies:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-c...

These cameras are full-frame, mirrorless, weather resistant and have a range of lenses that will be expanded with time.  The new RF lens mount will open new possibilities for performance and reducing the size of lenses.  In the meantime you can get an adaptor for the current line of EF lenses - i.e. those compatible with Full Frame DSLRs.

I recommend looking at the canon site and checking that out

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@M0710NM4N wrote:

Let me first say that I want a full body camera and not interested in a point n shoot. With that in mind, I want whatever would have the best Auto Mode. I'll learn as I go, but looking to purchase right away and planning a trip to Disney World. Also interested in lenses for macro, telescopic and wide angle. A lot of pictures would be at night, so maybe something that was good at night and low light conditions.

And one final thought would be if there is anything that's waterproof or at least water resistant as rain can happen out of the blue as I've been caught in it on previous trips to Disney. Money isn't much of a concern, but of course I don't want to buy the top of the line, only to find out I could have spent 1/2 of that or less and gotten what I wanted/needed. Appriciate the help.

I think the first thing you need to learn is that while cameras and lenses work together, they are separate products.  Cameras and lenses are not “waterproof”, only a special enclosure for underwater photography can do that.  High end gear is moisture and dust resistant, which means you still need to use a little common sense to protect your gear.

Do you have an initial budget for your trip to Disney World?  That is a significant shopping list of professional grade lenses.  A professional grade body will have a big price tag, too. 

I suggest a 1Dx Mark II camera body with a EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM for your trip to Disney World.  Your next problem is going to be how to carry it around.  You will need to take it on an airplane, and will want to carry it around the park.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I will stick with my suggestion.  The OP is starting with a blank canvas and the movement is going to be towards mirrorless and the RF lenses.  It is obvious that this system, based on the RF lens mount, is the way Canon is heading.

If he buys the Canon EOS RP:

1.  The pricepoint is good, and way cheaper than the high-end Pro DSLRS.  If he goes on to do things like weddings it will make a great back-up or second unit.

2.  It has all he asked for plus it takes 4k video

3.  If he gets the adaptor he can use the EF lenses...

There are several lens choices here, but the obvious one is to go for the RF 24-105 lens that can be bundled with the unit.

for longer work, if he can't wait for the equivalent RF unit to be released later this year, he could get the excellent EF 70-200MkII f4 lens that is lightweight and will have a high resale value or even the EF 70-300L unit that is also excellent and is very compact.

...  If he wants one lens to rule them all, with the adaptor he could get the EF 28-300L.   That should cover most of his range and give him a good workout as well! Smiley Very Happy

cheers, TREVOR

I will stick with my suggestion.  The OP is starting with a blank canvas and the movement is going to be towards mirrorless and the RF lenses.  It is obvious that this system, based on the RF lens mount, is the way Canon is heading.”

He is right.  Mirrrorless cameras do appear to be the future of photography.  I do not think the R or the RP are for the photographer looking for professional grade performance.

The EOS RP is the perfect camera for a Rebel owner looking to upgrade to full frame photography.  The EOS R is a slightly better performance version of the EOS RP. I think either camera would great for shooting stills, and probably for HD video as well.  I think the frame rates are on the low side compared to the competition.

I think anyone looking to shoot 4K video should either look for a 4K camcorder or an actual video camera.  So far, every consumer DSLR or mirrorless camera I have seen that is capable of 4K video incorporates some sort of compromise as to how it gets the job done.  

If low light performance is a “must”, then a full frame camera is the best camera to buy.  Both the EOS R and EOS RP are full frame mirrorless cameras.  They also have full frame DSLR equivalents: the EOS 5D Mark IV and the EOS 6D Mark II.

If the price tag of the EOS 1D Mark II is too high, then the 5D Mark IV is a good alternative.  I would still recommend the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, if only for its’ low light performance.  But, there are better lenses for low light.  For indoor shooting, you would want a wide angle, wide aperture lens, which are not inexpensive, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If I were going mirrorless, I would be looking at all of the offerings across the field.  When I upgraded from a 1D Mark II to 1DX and 1DX Mark II bodies, Canon offered exactly what I was looking for and it also allowed me to continue using my current EF lenses.

I agree that mirrorless is the future but the future is still the future and for me there is no way I would take any of the current mirrorless offerings over the 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies.  I shoot a lot of field sports and the slight lag using what is effectively live view all of the time for mirrorless would drive me nuts. I would also want to do a lot more research into the impact on image noise in low light settings with a sensor that is constantly active and thus generating increased thermal noise.  The lowered weight benefit is of little benefit for most of my shooting because the heavier body provides great balance to long fast prime telephoto lenses and the increased power budget/reduced battery life of a mirrorless makes a second battery mandatory for many uses offsetting some of the weight advantage.

The 1 series bodies equipped with a weather sealed lens (most but not all of the L series, for example) won't have a problem with light rain.  I have Canon rain coats for my 1DX and 1DX II bodies that fit the 300, 400, and 70-200 2.8 lenses and body because these are setups I do use in the rain and if there is a chance of moderate to heavy rain they are in place but they are somewhat awkward which is the price of keeping the camera dry.  But for possible light to moderate rain with a 1 series body and weather sealed lens, a good camera bag will work. I use a Pelican hard case for transport and it provides perfect waterproof storage when the gear is stored at an event but for walk around with something smaller than a L series fast telephoto prime (like the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses) I have a couple of Lowepro AW series shoulder bags that are of a weather resistant fabric and have their own self contained raincoat that emerges from a compartment to cover the bag.

There is a WiFi accessory that connects to the 1 series bodies but it is sort of awkward and it isn't really something you would want for general use in most situations.  I use the RJ45 ethernet port to rapidly transfer images to my computer for later processing.  It is fast and I think RJ45 connectors are far more rugged than using the USB connector or removing the CF cards with their somewhat fragile connector because either is more likely to fail in the sort of high duty cycle usage my cameras see.

In around 5 years I will probably be ready to upgrade to new cameras and at that point mirrorless is a possibility depending upon where the technology is at that point.  Because I would also need to switch to a new set of lenses at that point, I would look at the offerings from Canon AND the competition.  But at this point, if I felt my 1DX series bodies were worn out I would not be switching to the mirrorless system from any of the manufacturers based upon my shooting preferences and needs, others will have different photography preferences and needs.

For limited 4K shooting, any current camera body offering that feature will suffice but as Waddizzle noted they all have limitations starting with 4K is an added feature and not the prime design motivation for these bodies.  To escape the EU taxation on video cameras, all of the current DSLR and mirrorless offerings will have the sub 30 minute time limit.  And like the mirrorless camera in its native live view mode, you have to be a bit cautious not to expose the camera in video mode to something that will damage the sensor such as intense sunlight through the lens.  My daughter needed some sports video and after shooting a little with my 1DX II I decided to pick up a XF-400 camcorder which was much better suited to that task.  For high end 4K video, then a Cinema EOS body is the Canon choice but I didn't need that sort of video versatility and performance.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

M0710NM4N
Contributor
Wow... decisions decisions.

Loving what I have been reading and watching on the 1Dx Mark II, but my biggest gripe would be no built in wifi. But the then the problem with the EOS R is that if I want a lens more suited for low light (f/2), it would cost me nearly $3000. Almost fell out of my chair when I saw the price and had to take a second look that I was reading it right.

This is what I was looking at with the EOS R...

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mirrorless-Digital-24-105mm-28-70mm/dp/B07H58PBVB/

@M0710NM4N wrote:
Wow... decisions decisions.

Loving what I have been reading and watching on the 1Dx Mark II, but my biggest gripe would be no built in wifi. But the then the problem with the EOS R is that if I want a lens more suited for low light (f/2), it would cost me nearly $3000. Almost fell out of my chair when I saw the price and had to take a second look that I was reading it right.

This is what I was looking at with the EOS R...

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mirrorless-Digital-24-105mm-28-70mm/dp/B07H58PBVB/

First, you never gave us a budget but you gave us a long list of high-end needs and you said you want to go pro - well, the suggetions we have offered will get you there.  The future of Canon is the R series body and the RF lens mount, as you are just starting your journey you are perfectly placed to connect to this system.

You need to look at the EOS RP not the R.  See this link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-c...  in the USA the RP lists for around $1300.  The RF 24-105 is a good walk-around lens and you can tap into the cheaper EF market with the adaptor.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements