cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help regarding 90D and Sigma 150-600C OS issue

jaisomnmick
Apprentice

I just upgraded to the 90d from the 70d. I've been using my sigma 150-600 with the 70d for a few years now.

The OS on the lens is not working through the VF but does work through Live View. Seeing how I'm not going to use live view while shooting at 600mm, this is a problem.

Firmware is up to date on both camera and lens and I've tried changing setting on the lens with the sigma dock. No luck.

Anyone else have similar issues? Can anyone help?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1444021/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have had both the Sigma 150-500mm, and now the 150-600mm C.  What type of behavior are you seeing from the OS?

I have two observations.  The OS on the 150-500mm would always seem to get into a tug-of-war with the AF motor signals coming from the camera.  I wound up never using the OS in the 150-500mm, which did not matter because my shutter speed was always way up around 1/1600.  I sold the 150-500mm in favor of the 150-600mm, which had the Sigma Dock!

The second observation was that both the 150-500 and 150-600 do not seem to AF as well on my APS-C bodies as well as they do on my full frame bodies.  The FF bodies always seem to capture noticeably sharper photos.  Always.

John's link is to an older thread, which no longer applies to 150-600mm C lenses with the latest firmware.  In early 2017, Sigma released updated firmware that totally rewrote AF algorithms, and fixed the OS seeming to fight the camera AF system.

Sigma claimed that the lenses could focus 40% faster, and I am not going to argue with them.  After I updated the lens, it was as if I had an entirely brand new lens.  If focused faster and quieter, and the OS actually worked.  The lens used to back focus on the short end, and front focus on the long end so badly that it was unusable past 500mm.  The update fixed all of that!

But, the one thing that the update did not completely fix was that my 7D2 was never as sharp as my 6D.  As for the OS, I turn it off when I use a tripod or monopod.  I only use it when I am hand holding the 150-600mm.  I also tweaked the OS with the Sigma Dock.  My OS switch is set to custom, to use whatever custom set of parameters I entered.  I recall tweaking over the course of 3-4 months.  I have no AFMA entered in the lens, just a custom OS mode.  That's it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Subscribed.   I only use my 150-600C with FF and have a Sigma Dock.  I never used it with the older FW, (updated it right out of the box) so my experience has been normal.  Curious to hear more about the OP's issue. 

@jaisomnmick, the 90D is a slightly different animal than previous APS-C body's.  Is it possible there is some in camera lens correction setting that might be causing the issue?  These were (claimed) resolved on the 80D and earlier models. 

I have also called Sigma in the past, and have always received friendly and fast answers to techincal questions.  If you think you've found a bug with the 2.02 FW, I would report it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Your 7D2 has a smaller sensor with smaller pixels than the 6D. If you view both at the same size you are enlarging the 7DII image more than the 6D image, thus you are also enlarging any blur by a greater factor as well.

Both cameras have the same number of pixels, but the pixels of the 7D2 only cover 0.625X as much linear distance and only 0.39X as much area as the 6D sensor. If a lens can resolve 50 lp/mm, that is 1200 lp vertically on the 24mm tall FF sensor, but only 750 lp vertically on the 15mm tall APS-C sensor.

5DIV, 7DII, EF70-200/2.8 IS II, EF24-70/2.8, EF24-105/4, EF17-40/4, EF50/1.4, EF85/1.8, EF135/2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can anyone help?"

I doubt it because this is a Canon web site and your problem is with Sigma not Canon.  You either need to get on SIgma's web site or call them. It isn't Canon's job or goal to make sure their cameras work with off brand lenses or any off brand gear for that matter.  Not only that but Canon does not document how their cameras work so companies like Sigma must 'guess' how it done.  Usually they do a good job. Sometimes not, call Sigma!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This thread has been reported to the Moderators, due to the links that have suddenly appeared in the initial post.  [Thanks!]

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements