Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Need professional advise for product photography lens for Canon 7D

[ Edited ]

I also wonder if the "adjustable depth-of-field" or shift on lens (C) might be perfect for product photos. There aren't many references to product photography in the reviews. I'm sure some are not professional shooters.

My experience is with the use of strobes in the studio. Is that still being used or are fixed lights the way to go?

Respected Contributor

@Amscot56 wrote:

Okay, I have been rolling through the entire EF Lens lineup and price checking with Amazon. So far here are some picks:

(A) EF 100mm (160mm) f/2.8 Macro USM $515 at Amazon.

(B) EF 100mm (160mm) f/2.8L Macro II USM $1049.

(C) TS-E 45mm (72mm) f/2.8 $1269.

I am leaning into B and C but I am not sure, maybe the TS-E would be a good investment but I can't use it for anything else. I was thinking I could use B also for portrature.

Tough Choices.  I can't speak on the L from experience, especially with concerns to Bokeh.  I will say that I don't love the bokeh out of my non-L.  It's fine, but not portrait fine.  Also, I find the lens to be a little too sharp for portraits unless my subject has fantastic complextion.  It really picks up everything.

You're right, Tilt Shift has two main uses.  Product, and architectural.  There are creative uses to, but it is a specialized lens that isn't as universal.  I would highly recommend renting one if you can, prior to purchase.   Besides, I also recommend not buying them all at once.  Get the macro and use it for a couple weeks and see where it's lacking for you.

Back to the macro, just found this at Canon store.  100L refurbished for $713.  That would settle the debate between L and non-L for me.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_269451_-1

Respected Contributor

@Amscot56 wrote:

I also wonder if the "adjustable depth-of-field" or shift on lens (C) might be perfect for product photos. There aren't many references to product photography in the reviews. I'm sure some are not professional shooters.

My experience is with the use of strobes in the studio. Is that still being used or are fixed lights the way to go?

Here's a couple of websites on how it works.  I really like the Cambridge website, but it might be a little much for some.  I think understanding how it works helps to understand what a T/S can and can't do.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/ts-e90_tilt-shift.html

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

Strobes are just fine.  Plenty enough to shoot  through diffusers at ISO100 and f/16.  You can upgrade to studio lights if and when you get sick of recharging batteries

Reputable Contributor

You don't have to buy Canon lens. I have a Sigma 150mm Macro and it's amazing. I bought it for $400 (the Non-OS version).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
VIP

"My experience is with the use of strobes in the studio. Is that still being used or are fixed lights the way to go?"

I suspect you need to ask yourself if this is just a hobby or is it for real? There are many ways to accomplish your desired results but you must decide to what end are you trying to satisfy.

Again if you want the best, this is the sight you need to look at, http://www.paulcbuff.com/alienbees.php

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP

"You don't have to buy Canon lens. I have a Sigma .........................."

This is absolutely true. There are some very nice Sigma lens' available. The Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX is one of them.

And for a crop camera, like the 40 or 7D, Sigma has the 50-150mm f2.8 that is wonderful. Well worth consideration.

I have both.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!