cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinions

DhiCan
Contributor

Hi everybody!

I have never used any other camera but Canon, have only bought original Canon lenses ever since the A1 came out. Enough of the intro. lol

Yesterday I bought a EF 11-24mm 1:4 L USM lens, beautiful, superb in fact! but must of the photos I've taken so far are showing a shadow on the subjets, not so difficult to find out that it is coming from the undetachable hood.

Can someone help me correct this problem? All opinions are very appreciated,

Tks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well then, it sounds like you now have an excuse to get a hot-shoe flash of some sort. Robot wink But you may want to make sure it's able to do bounce flash or have a sufficient diffuser panel to make sure it will work with a lens as wide as an 11-24mm.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bobhowdy
Enthusiast

DhiCan,
I owned a Canon 11-24mm lens for a couple of years and enjoyed it when I used it ...... I just did not use it enough at that time and sold the lens,
I never experienced a shadow on subjects due to the lens hood. I did experience a shadow in my images from my own shadow, when I did not pay attention....... Due to the wide focal length of course.
I know some lenses have a problem with vignetting on the corners of an image (dark corners) and often especially with petal type lens hoods. I did have this problem with the 11-24 when I turned the camera / lens on the vertical axis.
This reply is not an help or answer to your problem .... But I did want to respond and offer my exeriences.

P.S.  I did realize that I missed the wide focal length lens in my kit (due to shooting more night skies) and purchased the Sigma 12-24mm f/2.8 lens. I love the lens

Bob Howdeshell
Life has an expiration date
Canon R3, Canon R5 (2), several Canon lenses and a couple of Sigma lenses

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you using an on-camera flash?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

"Need opinions"

You came to the right place Smiley Happy

I had the vignette concern when I first got the lens. You can test by placing finger on the lens hood and moving into lens area. Takes a bit of movement before you see the finger. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

DhiCan
Contributor
I found out why I was getting the shadows and it was due to using the built-in flash because that lens is so massive the built-in hood gets in the way.

Well then, it sounds like you now have an excuse to get a hot-shoe flash of some sort. Robot wink But you may want to make sure it's able to do bounce flash or have a sufficient diffuser panel to make sure it will work with a lens as wide as an 11-24mm.

Announcements