cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for my old but good Canon D30 (not 30D)

casper_zip
Apprentice

I have bought 2 cables, and still unable to have my Canon software communicate with camera. I want to put my name on it, or rather, be id'd as the owner. I have done this on my EOS 30D and my EOS 60D. Worked like a charm.

Now, what can I do to get this on my Canon D30 ? Am I using the wrong software ? I understand it's backward compatible but I need help. Please help if you can and I thank you.

Best,

casper_zip

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

My first DSLR was a 20D so you're going back further than my knowledge but there are some things that we'll need to know starting with what computer & operating system you're using. You may need an older operating system to communicate with the camera. As for the 20D you used EOS Utility & a USB cable to communicate but 1 series bodies back then used a Firewire cable to communicate so it may also be a good idea to tell us which style of cable you've bought.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

First of all, thank you. My computer is a Dell, and my operating system is Windows 7 Professional. I have bought two cables off ebay, and the last one actually fit into one of the slots. I used the same number that the Canon book had in it when I ordered, but you know how things go on ebay sometimes. So, I am still with the same problem.. Wish I could find someone with the same camera and maybe I could borrow or rent their cable and disk if that would do the trick.

Thanks so much I really appreciate you helping me.

Best,

casper_zip aka Bob

I strongly suspect you'll need to find an older computer to do it. Your computer will be running in 64 bit OS & based on converstaions about older 1 series bodies that won't work. I'd think you'll need a computer running Windows 98 or XP.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Here I am again:

I loaded EOS Utility on my older Dell with Windows XP. It loaded, and when I connected D30  it was looking for the disk that came with it. Unfortunately, that disk I did not have. Had I possessed it, could have completed my task of adding my name to my camera. The comuter recognized that a D30 was connected to it.

Wonder where in the world will I be able to come up with this needed disk ? My older computer works like new, and I really like XPS better than Windows 7 Professional. I will put out a search on the internet and also on ebay and Amizon.

Thanks so much for your wonderful help. Has me excited, now.

Best,

Casper_zip

Where did you get EOS Utility? Maybe you need the correct driver for the camera. If that's the issue click on the Canon logo at the top of the page here & go to "support & drivers" & work your way through the check boxes to download the driver for XP. As for the disk there is a very good chance the disk from a 20D, 30D, 5D or maybe 40D may have a version of EOS Utility that still recognizes your camera once you have the right driver. (I also suspect some older P & S camera disks have a usable version of EOS Utility).

Hello:

Been working outside, just now taking a break on here. Thank you. I got the EOS Utility disk with my 30D camera. It has a big list of cameras, but no D30. I will go to the place you said, and will look for the driver. I'll let you know how it goes. I have been hunting everywhere, and have found some disks in Version 12.1 I think is what I need.

Later,

Casper_zip

Announcements