cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help

JRHPHOTO2001
Contributor

Hi everyone. I have a Canon 40D That will Not Format the SD Card. It prompts me that the card needs to be formatted, but when I try it will Not recognize the card. I tried with all my cards. I even formatted the card with the PC, and with my other cameras. and still nothing. Any advice.

5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

JRHPHOTO2001, 

I understand that your EOS 450D will not format the cards.  If selecting multiple cards cause this issue to persist then typically we would recommend arranging service for your unit, however the EOS 450D is no longer in service life.

Since we're unable to service it another option would be the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program allows you to replace your non-functioning product. All refurbished equipment offered through this program carries a full one year limited warranty.

If you'd like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program please call our Pre-Sales and Accessories department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Please let them know you have been working with online-support and that your equipment has been deemed out of service life. Please have the serial number of your product at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm sorry there was a typo, It's a Canon 40D  not 450D

If you haven't already, I would try formatting the cards in your PC again. But I would try doing them in NTFS, FAT16, exFAT or any other format choice you might have. It's easy and free to try and it might "unlock" something on the card that the camera doesn't like.

"It's a Canon 40D  not 450D" 

Sorry but the 40D is no longer serviced by Canon either. Yours does need servicing though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You may want to inspect the inside of the card slot to make sure there are no broken or bent pins inside the CF card (or any debris).

The 40D will reocnigze the FAT32 filesystem ... but not an exFAT filesystem.  FAT32 is used for filesystems up to 32GB max.  Don't use a larger card (such as a 64GB or 128GB card, etc.) as that would require exFAT and the camera pre-dates the exFAT standard.

As was already mentioned, the 40D is no longer serviceable by Canon (they no longer stock service parts, etc.).  The 40D came out in late 2007, but was replaced by the 50D in late 2008.  Possibly you can find a 3rd party camera shop that could repair it (if they can get parts ... this is the sort of thing where you buy a "broken" camera for salvage parts) but since the labor is usually the most expensive part of repair, the cost of a repair would likely be much greater than the camera's value.  If you can't easily identify and fix it, it's probably cheaper to replace it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements