cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My "New" Canon EOS R5 had over 1,500 shutter releases? Is this normal?

VegasCameraGuy
Contributor

I received my R5 this morning and this afternoon I realized that it had 1,805 shutter releases on a brand new camera from B&H Photo. Is this normal? I'm guessing but can't believe that I pressed the shutter button more than 100 or possibly 200 times but 1,800?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VegasCameraGuy
Contributor

Sorry Guys, I'm an idiot! When I saw the shutter count, I jumped to a conclusion that was 100% wrong.

I didn't realize that what I was seeing was the number of shutter releases of the BATTERY! My Bad! When I got my R5, the battery was only partially charged, and while I was waiting for the new battery to charge, I used a battery from my 80D which is compatible but lower capacity.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@VegasCameraGuy wrote:

I received my R5 this morning and this afternoon I realized that it had 1,805 shutter releases on a brand new camera from B&H Photo. Is this normal? I'm guessing but can't believe that I pressed the shutter button more than 100 or possibly 200 times but 1,800?

How did you find out how many shutter presses it has had?  Does the camera tell you how many shutter presses it has?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

One thing that is worth considering...

Could it be that you, or someone along the way before you has inserted a card that was not completely clean - i.e. low-level formatted.   If continuous numbering is selected in the menu options  (and it has been by default in my experience) then the camera can pick up the numbering from an inserted card that has had an image count (even if it is formatted but not at low-level) and continue the numbering from then.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

As Trevor noted, if you are going by file sequence number, then his explanation is the likely reason for what you observed.

My 1DX series DSLR bodies provide a shutter count to the nearest 1,000 increment so that you can schedule replacement before failure is likely, something that is important in pro level bodies which are frequently used in high speed drive and multiple events resulting in a very high number of shutter actuations in a short period of time.  But the 1 series are the only Canon DSLR bodies I have owned that provide this info within their menu display, is that information also being provided in the R5 series? 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

And also, do you know whether it was mecahanical or electronic shutter? IIRC, the R5 has both.

VegasCameraGuy
Contributor

Sorry Guys, I'm an idiot! When I saw the shutter count, I jumped to a conclusion that was 100% wrong.

I didn't realize that what I was seeing was the number of shutter releases of the BATTERY! My Bad! When I got my R5, the battery was only partially charged, and while I was waiting for the new battery to charge, I used a battery from my 80D which is compatible but lower capacity.

Announcements