cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My photo labs want me to send images in sRGB. Should I set my camera at sRGB too?

Kfran
Apprentice

My photo labs want me to send images to them in sRGB. I am wondering about how to set my camera. They tell me to set it on sRGB but i know RGB is a bigger profile. What color profile should I set my camera on. Is any one out there an expert on color profiles? 

13 REPLIES 13

Thank you everyone for trying to help. I have gotten some great input but no one is specific on which setting I should set my camera - AdobeRGB or sRGB? That is my question.

What I am hearing is since I shoot in RAW, it does not matter. Is that right??

I know I have to convert the images to sRGB when they convert to jpg and go to the lab as that is the profile they want.

I get that part. I just wanted to be sure the camera is set right. It there is an advantage to shooting in AdobeRGB to get broader spectrum than I would want to do that.

@Kfran wrote:

Thank you everyone for trying to help. I have gotten some great input but no one is specific on which setting I should set my camera - AdobeRGB or sRGB? That is my question.

What I am hearing is since I shoot in RAW, it does not matter. Is that right??

I know I have to convert the images to sRGB when they convert to jpg and go to the lab as that is the profile they want.

I get that part. I just wanted to be sure the camera is set right. It there is an advantage to shooting in AdobeRGB to get broader spectrum than I would want to do that.

You mentioned that you only shoot RAW so the answer should be it doesn't matter what you set in camera.  If you are using Adobe LR or Photoshop then I'd set it to Adobe RGB otherwise leave it at default, in case you use jpeg sometimes.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The only time it makes a difference is when you let the camera create jpg's IN CAMERA. those jpg's will have a file number which starts with a letter if set to sRGB & an underscore if set to Adobe RGB. The setting has no effect on the information stored in the RAW files. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Kfran,

"You mentioned that you only shoot RAW so the answer should be it doesn't matter what you set in camera."

This answer is mostly correct except when you import the RAW photos to your computer, LR and/or PS, whatever, uses the settings gleaned from your camera.  If it didn't do that, you could not view the RAW files.  The RAW file makes no use of most of the camera' settings.  They are a non-factor.

As to your photo lab, they set their commercial printing machines to a certain profile and color space. If you use one that is different, they may not match what you shot.  So it is best to convert to whatever they require. Most home printer or even some pro level printers like the Canon Pixma Pro-100 and Pro-10 can benefit from AdobeRGB even though they don't support it.

Anything on the net it is a waste of time but will not hurt anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements