cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My next camera

idanidan123
Enthusiast

Hello guys, I have the 1100d almost 2 years, and 2 lenses. Now I want to step up to a full frame camera. I looked up CNET reviews, but I wanna be 100 percent sure so I need your opinion- I looked up reviews for the 70d and it looks like a pretty great camera, do you recommend it ?

FYI- I shoot landscapes and nature. I don't care about video mode at all, i'm all about photography.

Thanks in advance !

34 REPLIES 34

cicopo
Elite

70D is NOT full frame. What lenses do you have? They may not be full frame compatible. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The least expensive full frame camera body that Canon currently offers is the 6D, which is great in low light.  Cameras seem to be undergoing a technological leap.  Check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store, for the best Canon deals. 

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-6d-body-refurbished

Every camera or lens that I've looked at comes with a one year warranty.  Items are not always in stock.  Take advantage of sales when they are offered.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@idanidan123 wrote:

Hello guys, I have the 1100d almost 2 years, and 2 lenses. Now I want to step up to a full frame camera. I looked up CNET reviews, but I wanna be 100 percent sure so I need your opinion- I looked up reviews for the 70d and it looks like a pretty great camera, do you recommend it ?

FYI- I shoot landscapes and nature. I don't care about video mode at all, i'm all about photography.

Thanks in advance !

What two lenses do you have?

Usually the best way to improve your photography is with new lenses and not with a new camera.

That said for landscape photography you might benefit from the near doubling of megapixels with the Canon T6i.

There are those here that will disagree, but, you don't need to go to a full frame camera to take great landscape and nature photos.

@idanidan123 wrote:

Thanks in advance !

Please don't be offended, but if you're under the impression that the 70D is a full-frame camera, you're not familiar enough with Canon's product line to be ready to make your choice. Read up on Canon's various options on their Web site or that of one of their major distributors (B&H, Adorama, et al). Also, consider viewing some of Canon's videos, which are said to be excellent. Then come back and repeat the question.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It's okay, none taken. I wanna learn from you guys as much as I can.

lly3988
Rising Star

Your previous posts are mostly asking about the same question. 

Why your camera is not good enough ? What is the purpose of your upgrade ?

So have you decided : 50D, 5D Mark 2, 5D Mark 3, 70D or 7D ? (as you have mentioned in your different posts here)

Yea, I guess it kinda get repetitive at this point. My lenses are the 28-105mm and 90-300. I just think a full frame camera will capture more unlike crop sensor, from what I've heard. Basically what I want is a great DSLR for the next 3 years, at least. Sorry for asking the same question every time, I just feel like upgrading to a much better camera, I've read stuff about full frame cameras, and I really like it. I've been looking for a really low price for the 5D Mark II but it's really difficult. Do you have any other suggestion for a great full frame dslr ?

@idanidan123 wrote:

Yea, I guess it kinda get repetitive at this point. My lenses are the 28-105mm and 90-300. I just think a full frame camera will capture more unlike crop sensor, from what I've heard. Basically what I want is a great DSLR for the next 3 years, at least. Sorry for asking the same question every time, I just feel like upgrading to a much better camera, I've read stuff about full frame cameras, and I really like it. I've been looking for a really low price for the 5D Mark II but it's really difficult. Do you have any other suggestion for a great full frame dslr ?

Buy the EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens instead of a new camera!

EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Refurbished - $215.99

@idanidan123 wrote:

In the Canon world, you have three choices.

5D Mark IV: Expensive, state-of-the-art camera with many features you'll probably never use. But if you want the best in class, this is it. In three years it will still be considered an excellent camera. Your current lenses will work, but don't begin to match the quality of the camera. So be ready to spend important money on lenses when you can't see much advantage over your current rig.

5D Mark III: The camera the Mark IV is replacing. It's going out of production, but can be had for about $2600 while they last. If you don't mind listening to Mark IV owners brag for the next several years about how much better their cameras are, the Mark III is a very good value. However, you'll likely be dissatisfied with your lenses soon enough. (See above.)

6D: Lacks many features of the 5D III and IV, but is cheaper and simpler to use. It's considered an entry-level (to the full-frame world) camera; and if you really start to advance as a photographer, you may be tired of it in three or four years. But by then there may be a 5D Mark V; and in any case, the 6D can be a fine backup camera. (Even here, though, your current lenses are mediocre and should eventually be replaced.)

So there it is. But it's really too early to take our word for what you should do; you've got to start doing some research on your own. Then come back to us with specific questions about whether this or that capability on whichever camera is worth the money or not.

And forget the 5D Mark II; it's just too far in the past. If you can't afford one of the above three, buy a lesser (APS-C) camera (or keep your current one) and start buying full-frame lenses in anticipation of an eventual upgrade.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements