cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 80D takes pink pictures

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
My new 80D purchased at Costco as a bundle with a nice pair of Canon lenses has always taken pink pictures. I seldom get good photos from this camera. I am not an expert si only shoot pictures on auto setting. I've never touched any other setting ever. I see on this site that others have had thus problem. One poor fellow after trying all the suggestions and jumping through hoops was told to service his camera. Is Canon going to admit they have a serious problem and help us besides telling us to service a camera? What happened so that so many cameras are garbage from day one of purchase?
68 REPLIES 68

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi waddizzle ... the packaging inside the Canon box was undisturbed ... looked like I was the first purchaser ... even the free extra memory was cleanly taped to a small piece of cardboard undisturbed

But following your theory that it was a return I'm sure it was owned first by martians with the technical ability to flash an eprom chip on the camera's mainboard so the pictures favored pink and the colors were not true

Those pesky martians !

Thanks for catching that waddizzle!

🙂

I can not imagine a legit store restocking an obviously opened box and used camera back on the shelf without testing it.  That concept wasn't viable at all. You were right, perhaps rudely but right never the less.  Canon screwed up, that's all.

You might want to work on the sugar supplied with some of your pronouncements. Just a thought.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You might want to work on the sugar supplied with some of your pronouncements. Just a thought.

You have it right. Furthermore, in my view, this particular thread should be closed as the OP's "problem" has been resolved.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I can not imagine a legit store restocking an obviously opened box and used camera back on the shelf without testing it.  That concept wasn't viable at all. You were right, perhaps rudely but right never the less.  Canon screwed up, that's all.

It happens more often that you think.  If you lived in urban area, then you would have a different opinion.  I have friends who have bought cameras Price Club or Sam's and have had quality control issues.  Their gear was open box.

I have had it happen with a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM at Best Buy.  I took photos of it before I returned it because it was loose in the camera mount.  After comparing photos with the exchanged lens I realized that the first one was missing the rubber grommet on the mount for weather sealing.  Beware of the big box stores.  Stick to the small mom and pop shops, or the reputable online retailers.

I still have doubts because of the claim that the camera was new, when in fact it turned out to be almost 3 years old.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks Robert ... I'll post a few shots

🙂

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi waddizzle and biggs ...

This thread should be kept open because it will help other Canon owners who search for this issue ... I found this site by doing a simple Google search

What they will learn is it's possible for a camera to have an issue from day one with the main board chip affecting colors in your shots ... also the white balance might be off

People reading this thread will see it's best to send your camera into the service center nearest your location as soon as possible

I still have to take a trip to our local mountains for the test shots to see if the pink is removed from the pictures of white granite and gray asphalt and if colors look true

Also your suggestions to avoid super stores will be noted for those who wonder about returns being resold in bad shape ... I dont feel this happened to me since the eprom chip on the camera needed reprogramming

But your concerns will be viewed by many as a warning

Lastly they will learn to come up with better jokes than mine ... Milton Berle came out with a joke book a few years back ... wonder if there are any camera jokes?

I'll post a few pictures soon 🙂

"...your suggestions to avoid super stores will be noted for those who wonder about returns being resold in bad shape ..."

I don't buy into that, at least on a sustained basis. Perhaps a certain unit got restocked without testing.  However, any superstore or big box store would quickly lose business if that was known as general practice. If it is an unopened box, OK but an obviously used item can't be restocked until it is verified in working order. If such a camera or any electronic item looks like it has been opened and used any reasonably smart buyer should return it and make a complaint to the store manager.

I totally agree that Amazon uses small independent outlets and some of them are not above board in what they sell.  However, you must not confuse that with items sold by Amazon itself.  While on topic, never buy a camera kit or package from any source. They are usually junk or even less than junk.

EB

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
ebiggs ... thanks for the clarification as this will help future readers of this string

I agree ... in my case the program code on the eprom chip located on the main board needed to be flashed since it was not running the hardware to specs ... this was inherent to the camera ... even new computers may need to have their eprom (onboard bios) chip flashed after the initial sale to update its critical drivers for optimal functionality ...

I know (systems engineer lll) that computers are often rushed out the door to companies desperately needing a bios update ... I would guess that camera manufacturers make sure their code is fully developed before the camera's release and thus handle things differently ...

However ... and this is important ... the metallic/ceramic/etc material that these chips are made from can have bad sectors physically making for recurrent issues as the code degrades on this material

Thus my field test is needed next ... it's been a couple weeks ... I might just shoot downtown Disney this coming week first with all of its many bright colors and plant material etc as a good test

Thanks for your input ebiggs 🙂

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I would never know if my camera was off since I do all my corrections and WB in PS or LR. I leave it on “average WB” and don’t care what they look like until post edit.
EB
Announcements