cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 80D takes pink pictures

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
My new 80D purchased at Costco as a bundle with a nice pair of Canon lenses has always taken pink pictures. I seldom get good photos from this camera. I am not an expert si only shoot pictures on auto setting. I've never touched any other setting ever. I see on this site that others have had thus problem. One poor fellow after trying all the suggestions and jumping through hoops was told to service his camera. Is Canon going to admit they have a serious problem and help us besides telling us to service a camera? What happened so that so many cameras are garbage from day one of purchase?
68 REPLIES 68

@Horsefeathers wrote:
Thanks for your comments RobertTheFat ... I was thinking the same thing these past two and a half years that maybe it was just my camera taking skills ...

However I only shoot in auto mode ... I don't touch any settings nor have I ever looked at them ... I am afraid of messing things up without in depth knowledge... I figured one day I will read the massive manual but auto mode should be a safe bet ...

Tyrion thinks that is true also ...

My little Lumex camera takes great color pictures all of the time but has no great zoom capabilities ... I've been taking pictures for 40 years and have set aperture and speed etc ... worked with different lighting conditions etc

This camera has added pink no matter how I took the shot and the colors were so disappointing from the first day ...

A fine gentleman suggested the color sensor is broke

I hope it's that simple

Thanks Robert ... Ned has your back !

You are shooting yourself in the foot by assuming, against all available evidence, that your rudimentary understanding of your camera is sufficient for your current needs.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;

Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring."

- Alexander Pope

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I've been taking pictures for 40 years ... I wouldn't know how to do that anyway"

Uh, huh.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi John Hoffman

I shoot geological formations and tree/shrub/wild flower shots with the sun at my back when possible (most of the time) As I climb the mountain in my Jeep I'll park and take distance shots and slowly zoom in so that later I'll know which formation or plant was shot at which elevation ... every shot on auto mode always

I also zoom in on incredible granite formations and leaf structure ... incense cedar, ceanothus flower clusters, small wild flowers, Poderosa Jeffry and Coulter pines, rabbit brush, etc

The need for zoom is that some objects are up the mountain or down a slope ... also a perfect needle formation with pine cones might be twenty feet above ground ... you'll find a lot of animals hiding in the trees too ... I'm into forestry having been a landscaper for 30 years ... many of the mountain plants are capable of growing at our lower elevations

My shots at Disneyland is just me enjoying the color of everything ... same with Knotts Berry Farm ... good shots of steam locomotive with my phone but my Canon 80D is hit and miss

I hope it's just the sensor ...

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi Stephen the moderator ...

I'm hoping it's just a sensor as one gentleman suggested but it's too bad back in 2017 when I called Canon the person I spoke with didn't suggest I bring the camera in but asked me to simply save the pictures in raw format and edit the colors manually using a program ... I never did that hoping my lighting position would help ... I wouldn't know how to do that anyway

Thanks

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
”....my Canon 80D is hit and miss.”

Except, failed electronic components tend to stay tha way. There are no good days and bad days.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There's a cautionary tale here:

1. Winter is coming. 

2. Verbal descriptions are notoriously unreliable and open to interpretation- what is a pink image. Does it look like it was shot through pink cellophane or it just that Caucasian skin looks like a sunburn. 

3. It's basically impossible to buy a bad camera nowadays. If something doesn't seem right from day one:

- bring it back to where you purchased it for exchange

- if there is a camera club in your area go to a meeting and ask for assistance 

- if you can't do that send it to the manufacturer for warranty repair

4. At least for me, life is too short to endure a problem for three years.  I would either get it fixed or write it off as a bad experience and move on. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi John ... you are absolutely correct

When I retired early things were in turmoil here and it took a while to sort out ... the info from Canon back in 2017 was its impossible for there to be something wrong with the camera ... go download a program and edit all your pictures ...

You are so correct ... I should have gone straight back to Costco and told them to take this cheap of malfunctioning tech and give me my money back ... except I used it a few times and it was past the return window

Ah yes send it to Canon ... back then they said it was fine on the phone ... go edit your pictures

So here I am today ... Canon 80D in a shop

Does anyone care?

The tech in Virginia does ...

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Robert the Fat ... yes my rudimentary knowledge of the Canon 80D should have sufficed since I turned the little dial to automatic ... that's all I needed to do right?

At least that's what the advertising touted from Canon said

Sip my iced tea and take faultless pictures set to automatic !

Let Canon technology take over ... relax ... you need not worry ... what could go wrong ... just focus and shoot with the light at your back ... it's a Canon !

(cough) 🙂

@Horsefeathers wrote:
Robert the Fat ... yes my rudimentary knowledge of the Canon 80D should have sufficed since I turned the little dial to automatic ... that's all I needed to do right?

At least that's what the advertising touted from Canon said

Sip my iced tea and take faultless pictures set to automatic !

Let Canon technology take over ... relax ... you need not worry ... what could go wrong ... just focus and shoot with the light at your back ... it's a Canon !

(cough) 🙂

The fully automatic setting turns your modern, expensive DSLR into the equivalent of a cheap, entry-level point & shoot. If the latter is all you really wanted or needed, it's what you should have bought. Live a lot, learn a little.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
ebiggs ... you are obviously a sad fellow who likes to taunt and say things just to be nasty ... you do it well btw

I've taken incredible pictures over the last 40 years starting with a beautiful antique film camera from the 1940s where I set manually the aperture and speed using a handheld meter to assist ... my best picture was a black and white of catalina island from the end of the Huntington Beach pier ... I briefly owned a more modern reflex camera that needed a lot of manual settings ... after guessing wrong driving through the Hecker Pass (the tall redwoods created too much shade for my settings) I purchased a Ricoh automatic solar powered film camera with a 250 zoom ... using the auto setting the pictures if landscapes, people and the mountains wer great ... true to color of what you can see

Eventually I purchased my little Lumex with digital capabilities ... set on auto all if the pictures have been perfect with the exception if but a few ... but it has no real zoom capability ... my Samsung phone takes incredible true to color pictures both indoors at a Jeep show or at Disneyland

So fast forward to my retirement ... the Canon 80D takes washed out pictures and adds a faint pink

I have albums full of great film pictures and I have many great digital pictures taken with my phone and Lumex

I apologize for not learning how to reset the white or color settings or editing a picture (all 7,000 of them) ... can you forgive me ... how silly of me to think I could point and shoot with a $1300 Canon 80D set to auto

What foolishness on my part ...

As for my other great pictures even from my phone and a cheap Lumex ... I'm sure they feel guilty looking so good after your insightful criticism
Announcements