cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 80D takes pink pictures

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
My new 80D purchased at Costco as a bundle with a nice pair of Canon lenses has always taken pink pictures. I seldom get good photos from this camera. I am not an expert si only shoot pictures on auto setting. I've never touched any other setting ever. I see on this site that others have had thus problem. One poor fellow after trying all the suggestions and jumping through hoops was told to service his camera. Is Canon going to admit they have a serious problem and help us besides telling us to service a camera? What happened so that so many cameras are garbage from day one of purchase?
68 REPLIES 68

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
”Yes I misspoke... the camera box was not sealed... the people at Costco added a free memory chip so the box had no seal. What I was thinking is the cameras were protected in a caged area. Customers cannot play with them. They are each in their box in the back area.”

True. The big ticket items are kept in a cage away from customers. What do you think happens to returned items? They go in the high security area, too.

Like I pointed out earlier, returned items have a way of being resold to the next customer. Seeing how the 80D kit is not current item, you most likely purchased residual stock they are trying to get rid of.

This is why I suggested that you reset the camera back to a KNOWN state. Did you try it? If you did not know you should have asked how to do it.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"What is funny this morning is I posted that the tech from Canon I called in Virginia said he knew exactly what the problem was ... the white setting which needs to be set manually and the color saturation which needs to be set manually. He was a nice fellow."

What lighting conditions were you shooting under? I have owned multiple Canon digital cameras since 2005 and not once have I gotten pink images with the out-of-the-box standard settings (i.e. AWB and Standard Picture Style).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Hi John ... I took the camera into Canon Costa Mesa today ... leaving it there. Glad your camera working fine. I spoke with a manager who said the tech in Virginia might or might not be correct ... the one who said my camera needs the white reset for too much pink and the color saturation heightened for faded looking colors mist of the time. He wouldn't say what he thought it might be. Seemed to downplay his tech in Virginia. Not too impressed with him. Very evasive. Wish I lived in Virginia 🙂

The receipt shows i purchased my Canon 80D in 2017 so waurantee is over. I explained i have had this problem from day one. When I called Canon way back then noticing my colors were washed out and not true or vibrant I remember being told maybe to save the pictures in a raw format and download a program to edit the colors. I just want the camera to take true colors to begin with.

Normally for example I shot geological formations in Big Bear, trees, sub shrubs ... and downtown buildings and surroundings ... it's my forestry camera on those days

During the big renaissance faire in Irwindale I shoot tons of pictures ... some are true color while some are not ...

Each day both mountains and faire I shoot about 1200 pictures per day ... too many to edit every single one

If I walk Dusneyland the main street signs and incredible colors are faded looking

The ten pictures I submitted today are as follows ... parking lot asphalt had pink as did the shoreline sand and even cement barrier posts ... but parking lot in second picture true gray black ... two pictures of blue wooden building taken two seconds apart same location and settings one picture faded blue the other deeper blue ... I literally snapped one picture right after the other

Three pictures of dark blood red sunset coming home ... huge dark red sun ... incredible ... but pictures turned out bright yellow ... no red at all ... third picture orange with some red ... what a let down

I'll update soon ... thanks for your input ... the manager said they would analyze my camera issues and call me within three days

Thanks again John

Steve

"The receipt shows i purchased my Canon 80D in 2017 so waurantee is over. I explained i have had this problem from day one. "

Contrary to the title of this thread, your "new camera" is actually at least two years old.  Let Canon  Service repair it.  

@Horsefeathers wrote:
Hi John ... I took the camera into Canon Costa Mesa today ... leaving it there. Glad your camera working fine. I spoke with a manager who said the tech in Virginia might or might not be correct ... the one who said my camera needs the white reset for too much pink and the color saturation heightened for faded looking colors mist of the time. He wouldn't say what he thought it might be. Seemed to downplay his tech in Virginia. Not too impressed with him. Very evasive. Wish I lived in Virginia 🙂

The receipt shows i purchased my Canon 80D in 2017 so waurantee is over. I explained i have had this problem from day one. When I called Canon way back then noticing my colors were washed out and not true or vibrant I remember being told maybe to save the pictures in a raw format and download a program to edit the colors. I just want the camera to take true colors to begin with.

Normally for example I shot geological formations in Big Bear, trees, sub shrubs ... and downtown buildings and surroundings ... it's my forestry camera on those days

During the big renaissance faire in Irwindale I shoot tons of pictures ... some are true color while some are not ...

Each day both mountains and faire I shoot about 1200 pictures per day ... too many to edit every single one

If I walk Dusneyland the main street signs and incredible colors are faded looking

The ten pictures I submitted today are as follows ... parking lot asphalt had pink as did the shoreline sand and even cement barrier posts ... but parking lot in second picture true gray black ... two pictures of blue wooden building taken two seconds apart same location and settings one picture faded blue the other deeper blue ... I literally snapped one picture right after the other

Three pictures of dark blood red sunset coming home ... huge dark red sun ... incredible ... but pictures turned out bright yellow ... no red at all ... third picture orange with some red ... what a let down

I'll update soon ... thanks for your input ... the manager said they would analyze my camera issues and call me within three days

Thanks again John

Steve

The two statements I've highlighted are unlikely to both be true if there's something wrong with the camera. That strongly suggests that you're doing something wrong under certain lighting conditions. I'll be surprised if Canon finds anything that needs fixing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"orsefeathers wrote:
Hi John ... I took the camera into Canon Costa Mesa today ... leaving it there. Glad your camera working fine. I spoke with a manager who said the tech in Virginia might or might not be correct ... the one who said my camera needs the white reset for too much pink and the color saturation heightened for faded looking colors mist of the time. He wouldn't say what he thought it might be. Seemed to downplay his tech in Virginia. Not too impressed with him. Very evasive. Wish I lived in Virginia :-)"

---------------------------------------------

I will say what the problem could be.  An alternate explanation for photos with a pink tint is a failed image sensor.

"I pretty much stopped reading your posts ... . Why others are continuing to waste their time and effort ... I don't know."

I'm with John!  Let Canon figure it out. The very first thing they will do is reset his "new" 80D.  Something he refused to try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
EBiggs... you can't read ... the camera has had this problem since day one ... I posted that was three years ago ... you just read that ?

I contacted Canon way back then in 2017 and was told to save pictures in a different format and edit them ... in other words no help at all back then ...

I'm adding my thoughts so that others can benefit from my experience with this issue from day one ... thus far a great tech in Virginia has explained from his experience it could be the white and color settings ... also a less than friendly manager in Costa Mesa doesnt know what it might be and bad mouthed the tech in Virginia but will have it looked at for an estimate by one of his techs ... and a nice fellow named John on this forum is sympathetic and offering his thoughts ...

And then there's you ...

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks Waddizzle ... I really appreciate your input

I'll keep this in mind when I speak to the people in Costa Mesa ...

Plus the good thing is people who read this string will see what experienced camera people suggest the issue might be

I can tell you what might be wrong with a server, pc or firewall based on symptoms but unfortunately know little about cameras

Thanks again !

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks for your comments RobertTheFat ... I was thinking the same thing these past two and a half years that maybe it was just my camera taking skills ...

However I only shoot in auto mode ... I don't touch any settings nor have I ever looked at them ... I am afraid of messing things up without in depth knowledge... I figured one day I will read the massive manual but auto mode should be a safe bet ...

Tyrion thinks that is true also ...

My little Lumex camera takes great color pictures all of the time but has no great zoom capabilities ... I've been taking pictures for 40 years and have set aperture and speed etc ... worked with different lighting conditions etc

This camera has added pink no matter how I took the shot and the colors were so disappointing from the first day ...

A fine gentleman suggested the color sensor is broke

I hope it's that simple

Thanks Robert ... Ned has your back !

Announcements