cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 80D takes pink pictures

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
My new 80D purchased at Costco as a bundle with a nice pair of Canon lenses has always taken pink pictures. I seldom get good photos from this camera. I am not an expert si only shoot pictures on auto setting. I've never touched any other setting ever. I see on this site that others have had thus problem. One poor fellow after trying all the suggestions and jumping through hoops was told to service his camera. Is Canon going to admit they have a serious problem and help us besides telling us to service a camera? What happened so that so many cameras are garbage from day one of purchase?
68 REPLIES 68

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
When in the mountains on a cloudy day the flash occurs sometimes. But at Knotts Berry Farm or Disneyland on a nice day there is no flash. For pictures using telephoto the colors are not deep. Washed out.

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Yes pink ... for example the beautiful white cliffs in Big Bear have a pink addition. A white sidewalk in a downtown picture has a pink addition to it. All other colors are not true.

Just to humor us, reset the 80D to factory.  If you call Canon they will tell you to do it anyway.  Menu, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.  One thing for sure most likely it is not a fault of the camera as is a problem with something else like a misplaced setting.  Are all the lenses you bought ef-s real Canon brand?  If they are not, they are the problem.

If you have a wrong WB set it can account for odd color shifts so do the reset now!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
The only time I have seen pink pictures is when opening a raw file in a raw converter that doesn't yet know the black point/white point. (no raw file support).

@Peter wrote:
The only time I have seen pink pictures is when opening a raw file in a raw converter that doesn't yet know the black point/white point. (no raw file support).

My pink photos were the result of WB being set for Flash, and then taking outdoor photos of snow drifts in the bright sunshine.  Fortunately, I. Had shot RAW, and so it was easily correctable in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Horsefeathers
Enthusiast
Thanks for your thoughts ... I spoke with Canon support in Virginia yesterday after posting on this site ... he said the problems are a result of the white and color settings being calibrated wrong from the factory. I'm taking the camera into the Canon tech facility that fortunately for me is only five miles from my house so they can recalibrate. For some reason people on this site are Canon apologists or work for Canon and dont bother to read my posts. I have never touched a setting ever. The box was a Canon box sold at Costco. No one touched any settings before it was sold. It was allowed to leave the factory in the state I recieved it calibrated wrong. I would suggest that all factories everywhere have things like this happen for their products too. I dont know if this was made in the USA or not but I suggest to one and all that this camera did not benefit from their quality control. I will update after I return from the Canon repair facility. In the mean time I would suggest that everyone who assumed I had done something and hyperventilated to please breathe into a paper bag ... 🙂 To the rest ... cheers !

We didn't assume anything.  You said pink, I asked for some examples, which you didn't provide.

I asked specific questions regarding what, when, how often, etc. you didn't reply.

Others asked you to reset, as did I , you insisted you never changed any settings, but again, no action (or willingness) on your part.

What can we conclude.  My conclusion is you are evasive.  You haven't provided much and contine to insist, "I never changed anything"  So, all we can do is speculate. 

I'm not apoligizing for anything or anyone, and I don't need a paper bag.  From years of experience though, I am skeptical. 

I own 3 subaru's.  Been driving them for 13 yrs.  If you told me the Subaru forums were laiden with posts from people who had obscure problems from day one off the lot, I wouldn't believe you.  Why, because in my experience its just not true.  With my eldest at 200K, another at 160K and the last at 40K, my experience has been different.   

My experience with Canon has been great as well.  Yours apparently has not, but this not indicative of a quality control issue.  Show me those statistics if you have them.  (you can't) .  But I demonstrated what happens when you search Canon's forums for "80D" "Pink", etc.  Your post, one post.  Millions of 80D's out there, and only your one "Pink pictures" post.   

If I called Subaru and told them my car was rattling, they would tell me something might be loose and to bring it in.  A canon tech can't do any better over the phone than many of the users and staff here.  All speculation at this point because we still do not have anything, except for your word, and description of a behavior or phenominon which at this point remains unverified by anyone except you.  I think that basically sums things up, and am willing to bet others here, Canon or non canon staff would agree. 

Hope you get your camera fixed.  Cheers!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

We didn't assume anything.  You said pink, I asked for some examples, which you didn't provide.

I asked specific questions regarding what, when, how often, etc. you didn't reply.

Others asked you to reset, as did I , you insisted you never changed any settings, but again, no action (or willingness) on your part.

What can we conclude.  My conclusion is you are evasive.  You haven't provided much and contine to insist, "I never changed anything"  So, all we can do is speculate. 

I'm not apoligizing for anything or anyone, and I don't need a paper bag.  From years of experience though, I am skeptical. 

I own 3 subaru's.  Been driving them for 13 yrs.  If you told me the Subaru forums were laiden with posts from people who had obscure problems from day one off the lot, I wouldn't believe you.  Why, because in my experience its just not true.  With my eldest at 200K, another at 160K and the last at 40K, my experience has been different.   

My experience with Canon has been great as well.  Yours apparently has not, but this not indicative of a quality control issue.  Show me those statistics if you have them.  (you can't) .  But I demonstrated what happens when you seach Canon's forums for "80D" "Pink", etc.  Your post, one post.  Millions of 80D's out there, and only your one "Pink pictures" post.   

If I called Subaru and told them my car was rattling, they would tell me something might be loose and to bring it in.  A canon tech can't do any better over the phone than many of the users and staff here.  All speculation at this point because we still do not have anything, except for your word, and description of a behavior or phenominon which at this point remains unverified by anyone except you.  I think that basically sums things up, and am willing to bet others here, Canon or non canon staff would agree. 

He just wants to feel sorry for himself.

FWIW, Costa Mesa is a repair facility. They'll look at the camera, determine if it's a settings issue - if it is, they'll reset it. If it's not, they'll offer to service it. You guys tried, and we appreciate the effort. 

No sense for retyping this reply because it hit the nail on the head so here is my thoughts, too.

"We didn't assume anything.  You said pink, I asked for some examples, which you didn't provide.

My experience with Canon has been great as well.  Yours apparently has not, but this not indicative of a quality control issue.  Show me those statistics if you have them.  (you can't) .  But I demonstrated what happens when you seach Canon's forums for "80D" "Pink", etc.  Your post, one post.  Millions of 80D's out there, and only your one "Pink pictures" post.   

~Rick"

Thanx Rick for that, I don't need the paper bag either!
EB
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements