Canon Community Canon Community

Reputable Contributor

Re: My new 7D gets very dark pics indoors when using "automatic" settings. Whats wrong?

Auto ISO will increase ISO if the camera detect the shutter speed slower than 1/focal lenght. But it doesn't take into account IS and other things. Smiley Happy But with newer camera, you can set the minimum shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Respected Contributor

Re: My new 7D gets very dark pics indoors when using "automatic" settings. Whats wrong?

@hsbn wrote:

Auto ISO will increase ISO if the camera detect the shutter speed slower than 1/focal lenght. But it doesn't take into account IS and other things. Smiley Happy But with newer camera, you can set the minimum shutter speed.

That's interesting, thanks.  So the camera first sets speed and aperture, based on what mode it's in, then sets the ISO if it's still not exposed properly?

New Contributor

It WAS the exposure compensation! Didn't think to look there because I didn't change it, but somebody definitely did! Thanks so much for the help--the 6D is back to taking properly lit pix!!! Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor

Help your fellow Canon Forum members. Click the "Accept as Solution" button if your question was answered to your satisfaction!

Esteemed Contributor

On many bodies it's a very easy thing to change Exposure Compensation without intending to or knowing you did BUT once you realioze the exposures aren't quite right it should be the first thing you check & use.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."