cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 7D gets very dark pics indoors when using "automatic" settings. Whats wrong?

avdhh
Apprentice

My new Canon 7D gets very dark pics indoors when everything is set on "Automatic".  So did my 60D, which i traded in for the 7D because of disappointing dark pics when on "Automatic".  This happens with the built-in flash, and also with my 430EX II external flash.

What am I doing wrong?  I would like to make it work properly on "Automatic".

Thanks,

Art

14 REPLIES 14

Help your fellow Canon Forum members. Click the "Accept as Solution" button if your question was answered to your satisfaction!

On many bodies it's a very easy thing to change Exposure Compensation without intending to or knowing you did BUT once you realioze the exposures aren't quite right it should be the first thing you check & use.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

How large can you enlarge your Iphone images? I bet they look good small but can't compare enlarged. If you're shooting natural light only you have to either use a tripod & slow shutter speeds matched to the right aperture either in manual or by using exposure compensation in the other modes. Don't rely on a high ISO when it will introduce noise.

Re auto ISO & a flash. My recent experience with a 1D4 tells me auto ISO will crank the ISO up whether needed or not. I've since changed the camera back to NO auto ISO.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Auto ISO will increase ISO if the camera detect the shutter speed slower than 1/focal lenght. But it doesn't take into account IS and other things. 🙂 But with newer camera, you can set the minimum shutter speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:

Auto ISO will increase ISO if the camera detect the shutter speed slower than 1/focal lenght. But it doesn't take into account IS and other things. 🙂 But with newer camera, you can set the minimum shutter speed.

That's interesting, thanks.  So the camera first sets speed and aperture, based on what mode it's in, then sets the ISO if it's still not exposed properly?

Announcements