cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 7D gets very dark pics indoors when using "automatic" settings. Whats wrong?

avdhh
Apprentice

My new Canon 7D gets very dark pics indoors when everything is set on "Automatic".  So did my 60D, which i traded in for the 7D because of disappointing dark pics when on "Automatic".  This happens with the built-in flash, and also with my 430EX II external flash.

What am I doing wrong?  I would like to make it work properly on "Automatic".

Thanks,

Art

14 REPLIES 14

ScottyP
Authority

Hmmm.  But if you want to change settings on Automatic, is it really automatic anymore? 

The camera tries to make the best decisions it can, but it is not really very smart and it does not know what you are looking for.  Are you comfortable shooting in either Av (Aperture priority[aperture value]) or Tv  (Shutter Priority [time value])?   Use Av indoors and set the lowest f/number your lens allows.  

Also, do you have any lenses brighter than one of the kit lenses?  If you spend $100 to $350 on a 50mm prime lens (f/1.8 or f/1.4, respectively) you can get a lot better results in low light.

If you are using a speedlite flash, you should have enough light if you bounce off the ceiling or a neutral wall. If you get a cheap collapsible reflector you can position that below the subject, bouncing back up, then you have 2 light sources.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Are your subjects dark or are they OK and the room around them is dark?  

cicopo
Elite

Forget that AUTO mode exists & use Program mode, then learn how to change FLASH EXPOSURE COMPENSATION as second nature. You'll get much better results. After that learn which flash sync speeds work in different situations & finally as you learn start using Tv, Av or M.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

moxfulder
Apprentice

Did you ever figure out what was going on?  My 6D initially took great pix in AV mode in low-light, but I messed with some settings, and now all the images are dark unless I shoot manual--it's affecting all program modes.  It's affecting the entire image--not just a part of the picture.  I had my ISO set to Auto and the aperture on 4.  If I change the ISO to a really high number, it does fix the problem, but is then making the images grainy, and I'd prefer to be able to leave the camera in automatic ISO mode.   Any ideas?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  🙂

Read the manual & see if you've changed either or both of these

Exposure compensation or Flash Exposure Compensation.

Either can do that depending on whether you've added some (makes brighter images) or used negative compensation which darkens them. If all else fails reset it to the defaults & then see how it does.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@moxfulder wrote:

I had my ISO set to Auto and the aperture on 4.  If I change the ISO to a really high number, it does fix the problem, but is then making the images grainy, and I'd prefer to be able to leave the camera in automatic ISO mode. 

I assume you're shooting TTL?  I've never used flash with Auto-ISO, in fact I've never really used it at all until I got a 6D, but I have no idea how that is going to jive with eTTL.  There's a lot of auto settings going on there.

That said, if it’s only giving you proper exposure at high ISO and the exposure is even, then obviously the flash isn’t giving out enough power.  I would check the flash exposure compensation, or the flash itself.  Did you maybe move the flash to manual on accident and it’s at a low power?  Is the wide-angle filter on?  Is the flash firing at all.

I know it’s not what you’re looking for, but if you’re shooting eTTL it really is a great way to use manual exposure on the camera.  The eTTL takes care of the rest – providing you have an obvious subject.  Just set your background exposure to a stop or two underdeveloped, and let the flash bring you subject up.

Thanks for your responses!  I'm not using a flash.  The lighting is sufficient for even my iPhone4 to capture images with no flash, but the 6D's images are dark. 😞

@moxfulder wrote:

Thanks for your responses!  I'm not using a flash.  The lighting is sufficient for even my iPhone4 to capture images with no flash, but the 6D's images are dark. 😞

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.  That must be your exposure compensation.  Is it centered?

It WAS the exposure compensation! Didn't think to look there because I didn't change it, but somebody definitely did! Thanks so much for the help--the 6D is back to taking properly lit pix!!! 🙂
Announcements