cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new 5d mkIV take several seconds to write to the CF card anyone else having this issue

bpstevens
Apprentice

Have I missed something in the set up.. It will not take 7 frames on anything other than Auto.. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@bpstevens wrote:

Thanks for your reply Diverhank. All the itmes you mentioned below I have disabled as per teh manual, which I have read. I didn't buy this for the speed I have a 7D MkII for that.

I think if you should be able to shoot without having to wait 4 seconds for it to write to the card and you can take your next picture.. I am writing to a Compact Flas card - Scan disk Extreme Pro 16GB 160MB/s

The thing that is concerning is that in auto mode it will take bursts up to 7 fps and continious shooting,

Thanks again for your assistance

The answer almost has to be that you've tripped over one of those caveats shaded in blue above, resulting from a setting that is automatically overridden in auto mode. Maybe the dual-pixel RAW, for example.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you in AI Servo? 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@bpstevens wrote:

Have I missed something in the set up.. It will not take 7 frames on anything other than Auto.. Please help

Be sure the camera is set to write to the CF card, and the you disable the ability to take pictures without a card.

diverhank
Authority

First you have to set the drive mode to high speed mode and per the manual, there are all kinds of caveats

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

I think you need to read the manual a bit more before panicking :).  You shouldn't have got this camera for its speed :).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for your reply Diverhank. All the itmes you mentioned below I have disabled as per teh manual, which I have read. I didn't buy this for the speed I have a 7D MkII for that.

I think if you should be able to shoot without having to wait 4 seconds for it to write to the card and you can take your next picture.. I am writing to a Compact Flas card - Scan disk Extreme Pro 16GB 160MB/s

The thing that is concerning is that in auto mode it will take bursts up to 7 fps and continious shooting,

@bpstevens wrote:

The answer almost has to be that you've tripped over one of those caveats shaded in blue above, resulting from a setting that is automatically overridden in auto mode. Maybe the dual-pixel RAW, for example.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Robert, I went through everything again.. then reverted back to default setting, which has fixed the problem... will slowly add setting to see whcih one caused the problem.

Other than that it takes amazing photos, haven't tried the Video as yet.

Thanks Again

@bpstevens wrote:

The only thing that can cause a Canon camera to take that long to write is the option for Noise Reduction for long exposure. I'd make sure that is turned off.    I'd just reset everything to factory, set to M with Tv at 1/2000 and you should be able to shoot at 7fps.

Either your camera is broken (which I doubt) or your CF card is broken if you have set everything correctly...nothing should take 4 seconds to write except for the noise reduction for long exposure.  Keep in mind that the camera has a built-in buffer...you should be able to shoot for a second or more before needing to rely on the card and card speed.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements