cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My camera refuses to take pictures

Connieiversen
Apprentice
Hello... I am a youtuber and in the middle of shooting my camera turned itself off. It said the card was full but when i checked it was no photos or videos. I tried to delete the pictures it said it had but it still wont work.. What can i do?
7 REPLIES 7

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Connieiversen wrote:
Hello... I am a youtuber and in the middle of shooting my camera turned itself off. It said the card was full but when i checked it was no photos or videos. I tried to delete the pictures it said it had but it still wont work.. What can i do?

Try a different card.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Specifically which camera model are you using and which card model are you using.

The card must be able to write quickly enough to keep up with the speed that the camera is trying to capture frames of video.  This can confusing because card marketing will typically advertise the cards FASTEST speed (and that's always the "read" speed... which is worthless because the camera is trying to "write").  You need to know the cards true "write" speed.

These sorts of issues are almost always a problem with the card and not the camera.  I learned a while back not to try to save money by buying the least expensive cards.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

Also... you're shooting video? If so, there's a time limit on the length of file our DSLRs can shoot. Varies a bit by model, I think (I don't shoot video with my DSLRs), but as I understand it the limit is done to keep the sensor or other components from overheating.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

We don't know which model this is, but most newer cameras have an internal temperature sensor and will display an over-heat warning on the rear LCD before shutting down.  The icon resembles a mercury thermometer and may flash either red or white depending on how warm it is.

All DSLRs have a 30 minute (29 min. 59 sec.) limit due for trade reasons.  Some countries (the US is not one of them) charge a higher import tariff on "video" cameras than they charge on "photographic" cameras.  But since all modern digital cameras can record at least some video, the international agreement is that a camera is only classified as a "video" camera if it is capable of recording video for 30 minutes or more.  The DSLRs halt recording 1 second before they hit that limit to avoid the higher tariff class.  This doesn't really matter in the US, but since the cameras are designed for world-wide distribution, even cameras sold in the US market have that limit.   You can always just start recording again (to a new clip) as soon as it stops.  It just can't shoot one single-long-continuous-clip beyond that limit.  Higher quality production video always shoots shorter clips anyway.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

There is also a 4GB file size limit, which may kick in before 30 minutes, depending on recording resolution.

But, none of this info explains why the OP apparently has no files on his card.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
There is also a 4GB file size limit, which may kick in before 30 minutes, depending on recording resolution.

But, none of this info explains why the OP apparently has no files on his card.

While there is a 4GB limit, some models will automatically start a new file when the old file reaches the 4GB size (recording may not necessarily stop).  I do not think all models will do this.  But as we do not yet know which model the OP has, we can only suggest it as a possibility.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Peter
Authority
Authority

It is also possible to use exfat instead of fat32 on some cameras. Then you don't have the 4GB limit anymore.

500D-700D, 6D, 5DIII, EOS M, 1100D.

I have never tried this cause I never needed it.

Announcements