cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EOS 70 D needed a shutter replacement because light entered the photographs.

Carmel
Contributor

My camera is only 15 months old and needed a shutter replacement, should the camera be replaced with a new EOS 70D? It is under warranty.

8 REPLIES 8

williammcewen
Contributor
Actually a 15 month old digital camera is over 40% of its life expectancy, as with all things considered it's running in three year cycles. Shutters are good to 120-150k on average.

Product life cycle and product life expectancy are two different things.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thankyou for yor reply.

Thankyou for your reply.

amfoto1
Authority

The age of your camera is not really a factor, aside from the warranty considerations.

Used hard to take a whole lot of shotsand/ or to shoot a lot of long videos, it's possible a shutter might wear out and need replacement in fairly short time period. Typical shutter "life expectancy" for a 70D would be around 100,000 shutter cycles. This is not a guarantee by any means, just an average or mean time before failure (MTBF). Some cameras might see less, particularly if used to shoot a lot of video which requires the shutter be held open for longer periods of time, making some of the components work harder and probably heat up more. Other cameras often go well beyond the MTBF projection.

Normally it's a lot less expensive to replace a shutter than to replace the entire camera if all that happened is the shutter failed. You must have an extended warranty of some sort, since Canon's factory warranty is just 12 months.   

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Well, there is a story. I bought a 60 D, the part in the camera that allows the battery to converse with it stopped working, canon replaced it, 6months later the same repair occured, so they said they could not repair it so they replaced the camera with a 70D and gave me 2year warranty. Thankyou for replying.

I don't take videos, just photos of what is around me on my property. Thankyou for your reply. 

WOW, You lost three cameras in a row?  That is pretty unlucky, I'd say!  Is there some unusual circumstances you shoot under?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements