cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon 70D external buttons don't work

hbutoyi
Apprentice

Hi everyone here. I am using a Canon 70D for a year and half. I use it for video and pictures but not all the time. I recently have bought a speedlight Yongnuo 560 III. When I was taking pictures with that speedlight on it, the camera started to act strangely, changing some settings itself. From that night, the MENU button, pictures preview and other external buttons are not functioning. When putting on the Auto Intelligent Scene mode, the flash opens itself and starts flashing before I touch the shutter button.I have tried several times to enter in MENU and I once succeeded, I then reset the settings, but the problem persisted. I changed the firmware but nothing changed. It looks as if it is controlling itself, when I hold it and change angles, it bips and change the ISO, the auto-focus doesn't work either.

What can I do so to solve this problem?

I appreciate any help that you will provide.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Get a Canon Speedlight. It will be guaranteed to work.

Thank you Kvbarkley.

since that night I am not using that speedlight anymore. But the problem is there without a speedlight. Do you think it is that speedlight caused that problem? my camera was okay before I use that Yongnuo.

Hi hbutoyi,

Thanks for reaching out to Canon USA!

We'd suggest a full camera reset to ensure it's not a setting that's gone astray. If you've done that and you're still having a problem, we'd suggest reaching out to technical support for further troubleshooting. If you're in the USA or Canada, the phone number is 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). Support here in the USA is open during the week from 8am to Midnight (ET) and on Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET). 

If you're outside of the USA, you'll want to click HERE and select your region/country for your support needs.

We hope this helps point you in the right direction! 

Thank you so much for your help. I am unfortunately in Burundi (an East African country). I will select my region on the "CLICK HERE" for the support need.

diverhank
Authority

@hbutoyi wrote:

Hi everyone here. I am using a Canon 70D for a year and half. I use it for video and pictures but not all the time. I recently have bought a speedlight Yongnuo 560 III. When I was taking pictures with that speedlight on it, the camera started to act strangely, changing some settings itself. From that night, the MENU button, pictures preview and other external buttons are not functioning. When putting on the Auto Intelligent Scene mode, the flash opens itself and starts flashing before I touch the shutter button.I have tried several times to enter in MENU and I once succeeded, I then reset the settings, but the problem persisted. I changed the firmware but nothing changed. It looks as if it is controlling itself, when I hold it and change angles, it bips and change the ISO, the auto-focus doesn't work either.

Thank you.

Part of the problem is that you've bought a manual only speedlight and it appears you're using it in auto modes.  It won't work too well as you have already found out.  What is not normal is the manifestations of the problems...

Try to use the flash in Tv, Av and M modes only and you must set the flash power yourself.  If you want automatic flash (e.g. ETTL), get one of the Canon EX flashes.  Yongnuo makes an equivalent 600EX-RT flash that works pretty well if you want to stick with Yongnuo.  I recommend sticking with Canon.  It's so much better.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@hbutoyi wrote:

It looks as if it is controlling itself, when I hold it and change angles, it bips and change the ISO, the auto-focus doesn't work either.

Thank you.

I really don't think the flash has anything to do with your camera problems.  It always could have set it off, but it just doesn't sound likely, more like coincidence.  It sounds more like a stuck button, or a dirty button, if it is controlling itself when you tilt the camera.  I would let Canon clean your camera, which it may need, anyway, depending on how much and where you use it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you Waddizzle for your suggestion. I hope that a camera clean would solve the problem.

Announcements