cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 7D II is DOA :( :( :(

cormega1337
Apprentice

Got it from Newegg.com yesterday. Played with the settings for 20 minutes then took the battery out to charge it. Battery showed fully charged 3 hrs later so I unplugged it. I left the battery on the desk right next to the camera then went to work. I come home, pop the battery in, and nothing....it doesn't power on. Had my Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 on there when it did work.

Just now tried my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and still nothing. le sigh.

I don't have another battery to test until my package arrives in 2 days

6 REPLIES 6

cale_kat
Mentor

You didn't miss any of the "tear off before you use" tape that it was packed in? I'm guessing not since you played with it in the AM.  Do you share your home with anyone else? Another photographer, perhaps? Just thinking, electronics don't generally "go bad" when you take out the battery to charge it...

Sorry for your major bummer. I'd get a return working with Newegg just in case you can't get this sorted out over the wekend. At least you bought from a good dealer. Newegg will make this right, IMHO. 

There wasn't any tear-off tape on it. Double checked again and looked in the manual.  Live with parents and they dont go in my room (or even know I bought it).

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You may have a flakey switch on one of the doors.  

There are two micro-switches that will prevent the camera from powering up.  One is located on the door frame of the memory card compartment, the other is located on the door frame of the battery compartment.  

When these doors are closed, there is a tab that should engage the switch to tell the camera that the door is closed.  The camera will not power up unless both doors are closed (and if the camera is powered up when you open a door, it will immediately power down.)

Hold the battery door in firmly while powering up and see if it swtiches on.  You could also locate the position of the switch and use a toothpick to GENTLY engage the door switch and see if that makes the difference.

If it does make the difference, you'd still need to either exchange or send it for service (there's no user-serviceable adjustment) because you need to be able to have the confidence that when you're out in the field shooting and you use the camera ... that it's going to power up for you.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would certainly check for some easy obiviious thing before just to make sure.  Not to say a brand new camera can't be bad but so very unlikely.  How do you know the battery is fully charged?

Other wise I would certainly return it for a different one.  I have never dealt with Newegg, so I don't now how they will treat you but as a resort Canon will fix it.  Quickly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cormega1337
Apprentice

Well, just got my spare battery...and still nothing Smiley Sad.

Thanks for that tip TCampbell, but it still didn't seem to do the trick. 

ebiggs1, I did some testing/experimenting with the battery and got aninteresting result:  

I fully charged the battery (assuming that the charger is correct) and then left the battery on the desk for a few hours.

Put it back in the charger, and it showed it was full.

Then I put it in the camera and left it in the OFF position for 5 hours. Took the battery out and it showed fully charged within 1-2 minutes.

Now I put it in back in the camera with the power button ON and went to work. I come back home 9 hrs later, charge the batt, and it's blinking orange 1/sec.  The manual says that means its at 49% power or less, and a fully exhausted battery should take 2.5 hrs to recharge. Well, it took 2hrs 40mins to show fully charged.

So it seems the camera is drawing power and/or depleting the battery...go figure.

Anyways, I will start the RMA process with Newegg which is quick and painless Smiley Happy.  I'll also try the same test with the new battery. 

OK, well now at least you are fairly sure it's not the battery.  You wouldn't want to return it and have them tell you there is nothing wrong. Too bad but you will get it sorted and enjoying the new camera soon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements