cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 70D won't turn on anymore... need some advice

NickB91
Apprentice

Hi all,

My 70D (which is out of warranty) is dead. It just won't turn on anymore. I used it without any issues once a month or so for couple of years but when I wanted to shoot some pics and videos of my family gathering, it just wouldn't turn on. I assumed the battery was dead so I quickly drove off to the closest camera store, picked up a new battery and when I charged it, camera still wouldn't turn on. Anyway, I missed the chance this past weekend to record some mementos of my grandparents because of this.

I read some advice online about how some latch on the battery compartment might be turned the wrong way and we looked at it and wiggled it but the camera still wouldn't turn on. It's basically completely dead and there's no error messages or anything like that.

Last time I used it, I recorded some video and took some pics, saved it to a microSD card, and imported it into my computer just fine. I shut it down and now it won't turn on. This camera was babied and always kept in a case inside of a moisture-free safe. I didn't even use it that much or used it in harsh weather conditions or anything like that. There's not even a scratch on it anywhere.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Since my camera's now out of warranty and Canon's service is so expensive (just judging by the estimates I see online), is it even worth it to repair it? Given how the camera doesn't even shoot 4K and how much cheaper other cameras are, I'm reluctant to pay all this money for a camera that's not worth much more than a used one would be.

Thank you everyone for reading!

Nick

8 REPLIES 8

StanNH
Rising Star

Have you tried with another, full sized, SD card?

Hi StanNH,
No, haven't tried that. But the camera should turn on without a card in.Unfortunately it doesn't even turn on.

If you have Magic Lantern installed, it is a problem that has been reported before.  If not, and the battery is good, trying another card is a good test.  You are safest using a full size card.  If it's not the battery, and not the card, there probably is an issue with the camera itself.

OK. I installed a new card and the camera won't turn on. I've never used Magic Lantern...

If a new full sized card and new battery did not solve the problem, your only other option might be factory service.  Maybe some others members have other ideas, but I don't know of anything else you can do at this point.

We seem to get more complaints about dead 70D's than about all other dead cameras put together. Several users have reported that they had to have the main circuit board replaced. Speculation has centered around a component failure, possibly due to overheating, after shooting a lot of video.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Bob for reading and replying! So, then, there's nothing I can do really. I find this extremely disappointing given how lighly I've used this camera. I guess the only thing left to do is to write it off at this point. I had no idea Canon cameras are this fragile. And if so many 70Ds are dying, it seems to be a defective product.

NickB91 wrote:

Thank you Bob for reading and replying! So, then, there's nothing I can do really. I find this extremely disappointing given how lighly I've used this camera. I guess the only thing left to do is to write it off at this point. I had no idea Canon cameras are this fragile. And if so many 70Ds are dying, it seems to be a defective product.

You'll have to draw your own conclusions; I've never actually used a 70D.

But before you give up on the camera, you may want to have it looked at by Canon, If their estimate to repair it is less than its replacement cost, it may be worth having it done.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements