cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 70D with 24-105L took a quick dive in the Pacific

USinCA
Contributor

5 days ago I took a clumsy trip over a rock at the beach and my 70D along with the 24-105L landed in the surf. My heart stood still. I took the battery and card out right away and wiped everything dry. Back at the hotel I tried to wipe everything clean with a wet washcloth but sand is in all the crevaces and some of the buttons and switches on my camera don't move or only move with difficulty. The focusing and zoom rings on the lens sound horrible. 

Do you think I there's a chance the camera and lens can be salvaged?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Nope. 

Submerging in distilled water is bad.

Submerging in salt water is really bad.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/08/the-fujifilm-gfx-100-vs-salt-water-teardown/

View solution in original post

The only way you stand even a slim chance of salvaging electronics that has been salt water immersed is to IMMEDIATELY remove any batteries and within minutes, not hours, flush completely with fresh followed by distilled water (deionized water if the gear uses high voltage).  HOWEVER, with the amount of mechanical components in a camera, the above process MAY save the electronics but mechanical parts don't like water or this type of cleaning either and a lot of camera stuff is lubricated for life with no real way to replace the lubricant after this sort of treatment.

Cut your losses and prepare to replace the gear.  Don't put it near/with any of your other camera gear because it has the perfect setup now to grow fungus in the lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Adding...

Complete loss.  Don't bother with any types or repair.  

We are sorry.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you!

Oh boy, you don't know the half of it. I've had my eye on the R6 and was wondering how I could convince my husband that we needed it. I'm so glad that he saw what happened. I couldn't have faked that if i had tried. But still, I feel horrible and probably even guiltier now.

John_SD
Whiz

Sorry to read of your mishap, but it is highly unlikely your gear can be salvaged. Accidents do happen, I'm afraid. Living in San Diego, I spend my share of time shooting near water, in the mountains and in the desert. All are far from clean studio, lab, or museum-like settings. So I have learned how to deal with the elements. Now that doesn't take into account an accidental fall into the surf of dropping your camera into the Pacific, hopefully a rare event. But if you are planning to spend much time on the sand, water, or dirt, I would suggest you get a protective filter on the front of your lens. I use an ND filter. Sure, you can get by for a time with a hood, but that's not going to protect your front element when the desert winds have been kicking up all day, or you're at the tide pools or oceanside taking spray and sand all morning long. Some people will poo-poo the use of filters. These are people who are in clean environments and don't need them. YMMV. 

I'm in OC and shoot in the same environments and elements so thank you for recommending using the filter that's sitting in my gear bag and never gets used 🙂 I honestly had no idea that the sand came in through the front, I thought it entered at the rings since that's where I can hear it. Lesson learned!

I had a camera just got splashed in an OC tide pool, and it stopped working. The lens was - and still is - fine though.

Announcements