cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 70D froze and when I take pictures just shows a white/pink lined screen

Audevourahn
Apprentice

Hi Folks,

Hopefully this isn't a huge issue, but I'm worried.  While I was using my 70D with the Webcam utlity, the camera froze up, and then started showing a white screen with vertical lines about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.  When I take a picture now, all I see is white.  Please see pictures attached.  Is there an easy solution for this problem?  I feel badly, because this is my wife's camera.  I used it last night to take some pictures and after working a while this morning with a webcam zoom meeting, it's now doing this.  I hope I didn't do something wrong.  

Here's an example:IMG_1365.JPG

And another:

IMG_1363.JPG

Any suggestions on a quick fix??  

I reset the camera to default settings, pulled the battery, lens off, etc. I'm at a loss, but I am no expert.

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

It looks to me like the camera is totally non-functional and will need an expensive repair. Probably more money than the camera is worth.

I doubt you did anything to damage the camera. It is probably just bad luck that the camera decided to die while you were using it. 

Mike Sowsun

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Didn't the 70D get an updated circuit board with an additional heat sink due to cameras dying from overheating?

Check with Canon service and see if they offer any type of consideration for this if you have the original board in your camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the insight into the recall!  I'll be in touch with Canon tomorrow about this.  I absolutely have the original board in this camera.  It almost certainly is an overheating issue.  When it froze up on us, it felt warmer than usual, but not so warm that I'd be concerned.  I'm betting this will be my solution!  Thanks again!

You are welcome and I hope Canon takes care of you.

There have been numerous threads about the 70D dying from overheating while using video.  Here is one from the forum:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Canon-70D-Froze-Won-t-Turn-On-Anymore/td-p/248280

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Does appear to be an issie with the body, but you should also check the SD card.

See this as well for thre Recall:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service%20notice...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements