cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 5D MKIII camera's "SET" doesn't work.

redcedar
Contributor

When operat in MENU,  after press the "SET", it goes to picture playback mode.   but the multifunction joy stick will work for comfirming the selection.   how do I make the SET button working.

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The function of many of the buttons on the camera are configurable via custom functions in the menu. It is possible that you reprogrammed the function of that button to something else. If you clear custom functions AND clear camera settings in the menus, that will reset the camera back to the defaults, that likely will fix the issue.

redcedar
Contributor
Thank you, I already clear the Camera settings twice, It still works like that.

@redcedar wrote:
Thank you, I already clear the Camera settings twice, It still works like that.

Okay, but did you also reset the Custom Functions? I don't have a 5DIII, but believe the button assignments are a C.Fn and there's a separate reset for those.

Alternatively, reboot the camera (like rebooting a computer). To do so, first turn it off, then remove all the batteries, including the silver date/time battery. Once the batteries are out, turn the camera on and press the shutter release once. Nothing will appear to happen, of course, but this will drain the last vestiges of power from the circuits of the camera. Everything should revert to factory defaults. Once you reinstall the batteries, check the date and time to see if it needs resetting. If so, you got a good reboot. If not, try again or this time leave the batteries out for a longer period of time... maybe an hour or two.

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Thank you for your answer.  I followed your suggestion.  Still doesn't work!   The date and time has to be reset.  but "SET" botton just doesn't work.  Will it be hardware problem?

@redcedar wrote:

Thank you for your answer.  I followed your suggestion.  Still doesn't work!   The date and time has to be reset.  but "SET" botton just doesn't work.  Will it be hardware problem?

Does the "Set" button not work at all? Or does it take you to it take you to "Image Replay" (picture playback mode)?

I think you have the Custom Control for the Set button set to playback.  Check out the Custom Control menu and tell me what the Set button is set to. 

_set.jpg

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Mike Sowsun

redcedar
Contributor
Mike,
I clear the custom control many times, and I check the set control, it's in off status.
Thank you

Okay, right now it is in the Off position.  It has 7 options:

1) Off

2) Image Quality

3) Picture style

4) Menu

5) Image Replay

6) Magnification/Reduce

7) ISO

Just select what you want it to do.

Mike Sowsun

Mike,  still doesn't work.  I've trid all 7 options, It seems all of them stuck on Image replay.

Thank you!

Announcements