Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Multi exposure using Canon M6 Mk11

Hello. Does anyone know whether it is possible to take multi exposures in camera using a Canon M6 Mk11
Have been all through the manual/menu but cannot see any reference to it so doubt possible. 

Highlighted
VIP

Re: Multi exposure using Canon M6 Mk11

@gibosipa wrote:

Hello. Does anyone know whether it is possible to take multi exposures in camera using a Canon M6 Mk11
Have been all through the manual/menu but cannot see any reference to it so doubt possible. 

If you cannot find the feature, then I will take your word for it.  However, multiple exposures is a basic feature that nearly any camera that I have looked at is capable of doing.  I would have expected it to be included.

Canon cameras limit the variety of menu options when the camera is in an automatic shooting mode.  This is done because there is no reason to present menu choices to the user that cannot be altered when the camera is in an automatic mode.

You will see the full range of menu options if you change the shooting mode to one of the Creative Modes: P, Tv, Av, or M.  If the camera was not in one of the Creative modes when you searched the menus, then I suggest you look again.  I would expect it to be there.

However, you have far more control over the multiple exposure process if you do it in post processing.  Creating the multiple exposure image in post will also retain the basic shots used to create the final image.  Capturing in camera will almost never preserve the original images.  In other words, you won't get a chance at a do over, which you can easily do in post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think any of the rebels do multiple exposure* , I know my T6S can't. It is so easy to do in post these days.

* I mean multiple exposure as a creative tool, not as a part of HDR or handheld night scenes.

Highlighted
VIP

@kvbarkley wrote:

I don't think any of the rebels do multiple exposure* , I know my T6S can't. It is so easy to do in post these days.

* I mean multiple exposure as a creative tool, not as a part of HDR or handheld night scenes.

I am certain that you're correct.  The feature is not offered in Rebels, and does not appear to be available in any M-Series camera bodies, either, which I find to be rather curious.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think you answered it yourself:

"However, you have far more control over the multiple exposure process if you do it in post processing. Creating the multiple exposure image in post will also retain the basic shots used to create the final image. Capturing in camera will almost never preserve the original images. In other words, you won't get a chance at a do over, which you can easily do in post."

This is one of those functions that, other than taking the two images, a camera is not the right tool for the job.