Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor
Posts: 853
Registered: ‎01-25-2018

Re: More R5 info

I am with Ernie on this one.  Canon (the competition also) hasn't created a compelling reason for me to go mirrorless.  I don't want a lighter body because I like the way the heft of the 1 series provides a counterbalance to the heavy glass.  Battery life is important to me because I will shoot a lot of images at a sports event.  But most critically, an EVF is inferior to an optical viewfinder for fast action sports.

 

I will happily adopt new technology when there is a compelling reason to do so but mirrorless of itself doesn't yet provide a better total platform compared to a DSLR.  AF performance is incredible with the 1DX series and at 10 minutes or less to calibrate a lens I am happy to stay with the excellent AF system in those bodies. If mirrorless provided noise and sharpness performance at ISO 25,600 equivalent to ISO 1,000 I would jump on it in a heartbeat.  But just because it doesn't have a mirror isn't sufficient reason to get a lot of us to switch.  So count me out of the evangelical mirrorless movement for now Smiley Happy

 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,201
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: More R5 info

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not about to jump ship to the EOS R system, either.  I doubt if I will, because I am too old and too invested in the EF mount.  If I had to recommendation a path for someone just starting out, I would not encourage them to rule the RF mount.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor
Posts: 853
Registered: ‎01-25-2018

Re: More R5 info

I agree Wadidizzle with the caveat to make sure it is the right system for them regardless of design/technology. 

 

Photography beyond the phone type is fighting an uphill battle for a large part of the consumer market because so many are happy with the convenience of the camera that always goes everywhere with them and is already mirrorless.  For that group, the larger mirrorless body with the required larger lens which provide the additional capabilities are still huge and heavy compared to their phone. 

 

A natural for mirrorless design is at the compact, integrated lens, low price end of the market to provide a step up above typical smartphone capability.  But a mirrorless in the same size range as traditional "35 mm style" bodies probably won't be any more succesful than the various digital/HD radio systems have been in keeping a large segment of the younger generations listening to broadcast radio because they prefer the other alternatives and attempts to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear fail. 

 

To be sucessful, companies will have to hit on a product that does something that the target market really values and does it well and investment in developing mirrorless and a new line of lenses optimized to it is likely to provide a ROI that causes companies to refocus resources on product lines with a better rate of return.  Corporations are cold and logical beasts because they have to be and if money invested in still imaging products doesn't appear likely to offer equal or better returns than other lines then they will be subject to pruning.  Most of us have spent most of our lives in a time when video wasn't nearly as convenient or practical to shoot and view as it is now and instead of "pixel peeping" for high quality stills the mass market craves entertaining video and given the popularity of "reality TV" and the "amazing fails" genre on Youtube, neither technical nor content quality is held to a high standard.  Many local news stations happily run video shot with smartphones from their viewers in a sign that content is far more important than quality currently.  At one point, the home entertainment market at the better end focused upon creating realistic reproduction of the source material but the home entertainment industry has strayed very far from that concept and the idea of highly realistic capture of events in photography has similarly moved heavily into "artistic" edits of captured reality. 

 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,252
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: More R5 info

"And do you seriously think you can resist trying out the R-mount version ..."

 

Yes!  Smiley Happy  No interest at all.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,252
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: More R5 info

"I do not subscribe to the belief that one is too old or has had too many cameras ..."

 

John you are simply not old enough or you don't have "too many cameras/lenses" to know!  Smiley Happy I am and I do.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,252
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: More R5 info

[ Edited ]

" I am too old and too invested in the EF mount."

 

Bingo!  Been there done that!  Canon got me once to the tune of many zeros behind the $.  It AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN again.

One big reason now is old age.   I didn't have it then but I do now.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: More R5 info


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I do not subscribe to the belief that one is too old or has had too many cameras ..."

 

John you are simply not old enough or you don't have "too many cameras/lenses" to know!  Smiley Happy I am and I do.


You have it right on both counts! Not a problem, though, as you older DSLR gents will leave more space for us in the pre-order queue. Smiley Happy

 

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,292
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: More R5 info


@John_SD wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I do not subscribe to the belief that one is too old or has had too many cameras ..."

 

John you are simply not old enough or you don't have "too many cameras/lenses" to know!  Smiley Happy I am and I do.


You have it right on both counts! Not a problem, though, as you older DSLR gents will leave more space for us in the pre-order queue. Smiley Happy


Maybe this time, but don't count on it for the future. Smiley Wink For example, I'm older than Ernie, but I'm not ready to promise not to buy another camera. And if I do, it will be a mirrorless. They're the future of serious photography, whether one likes it or not.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: More R5 info


@RobertTheFat wrote:

Maybe this time, but don't count on it for the future. Smiley Wink For example, I'm older than Ernie, but I'm not ready to promise not to buy another camera. And if I do, it will be a mirrorless. They're the future of serious photography, whether one likes it or not.

You are correct. Mirrorless is not only the future of serious photography, (and increasingly, casual photography) but pros all over the world are also starting the make the switch. For all practical purposes, the day of the DSLR is coming to a close, whether one acknowledges it or not. Doesn't mean that the DSLR will not continue to function, it just means that they will soon be relics of the past. 

Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,201
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: More R5 info


@John_SD wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Maybe this time, but don't count on it for the future. Smiley Wink For example, I'm older than Ernie, but I'm not ready to promise not to buy another camera. And if I do, it will be a mirrorless. They're the future of serious photography, whether one likes it or not.

You are correct. Mirrorless is not only the future of serious photography, (and increasingly, casual photography) but pros all over the world are also starting the make the switch. For all practical purposes, the day of the DSLR is coming to a close, whether one acknowledges it or not. Doesn't mean that the DSLR will not continue to function, it just means that they will soon be relics of the past. 


I agree.  I forgot the caveat that I am not inclined to heavily invest in RF glass because of my EF glass.  If I had to buy a new camera, it would almost certainly be a Canon mirrorless.  The horrific buffering in the Sony bodies makes all of them complete non-starters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement