cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing but not Missing Images

bbrant
Apprentice

Hello -

I'm new to the forum and am posting because I'm experiencing an issue that I've never seen before.  In January I purchased a new 5D Mark III.  It's been performing beautifly.  That said, I'm baffled by an issue with it or possibly the SD card.

I recently took a couple photos and can see them on the camera's display.  However, I'm not able to see them when I try to copy them from my SD card.  I've tried to view them in Windows Explorer on 3 different computers, 2 Windows 10 machines and 1 Windows 7 machine, but no luck.  It's like they're non-existant on the card.  Even after copying the entire contents of my card to a hard drive, they're still not showing.  The kicker is that I can see them on the camera's LCD.  

In 10 years of shooting digital, I've never encountered "ghost" images.  I shoot in Raw and thought, perhaps, if I shot in Raw + jpg format, I could at least get something.  So tonight I went out and took approximately 50 pictures.  About 10 of them (both the Raw and jpg) are not showing on the computer but visible on the camera.

Any thoughts or ideas why this is happening are appreciated!

Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3

lly3988
Rising Star

Call Canon service center. They can help.

Thanks!

I took your advice and contacted Canon support.  I spoke to a guy by the name of Aaron who was VERY helpful and good to work with!!

What he had me do was plug the camera (with the card in the camera) directly into my computer via the USB cable.  It registered in Windows and then, in Windows Explorer, he had me right-click on the camera icon (sorry for not knowing the technical way of saying it) and seleecting find images/import images.  Bingo!  There were my "ghost" images!  

I used the same card in my Pentax camera and we believe the differences between the way the different way Pentax/Canon write to the card may have caused the issue.  He recommended always formatting the card in the camera before using it.  

Thought I'd post the resolution in case anyone else ever encounters the same thing.  Thanks again Ily3988!

Announcements