Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Minimun shutter speed for ISO Auto 6d Mark II

I'm not clearly understanding the manual:  "You can set the minimum shutter speed so that the shutter speed set automatically will not be too slow when ISO Auto is set.  This is effective in the <P> and <AV> modes when you use a wide-angle lens to shoot a moving subject or when you use a telephoto lens.  It helps to reduce camera shake and blurred subjects.

I can further see that it is possible to set the Auto to a slower or faster speed than the standard.

Is it not possible to set the minimum shutter speed to Auto with  a faster setting (compared to standard) while in Manual mode?

Or, is it possible to do this, but it is just not effective?

Lynnea

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Minimun shutter speed for ISO Auto 6d Mark II

You can set whatever speed you want in manual.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry, but I meant the setting for ISO Speed Settings.

I believe, thought, that I did find my answer. 

I have chose M mode and Auto ISO so my understanding now is that this already sets the minimum shutter speed, and I would not need to be concerned with the ISO Speed Setting.

Thanks for replying.

Lynnea

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lynnea1941wrote:

I have chose M mode and Auto ISO so my understanding now is that this already sets the minimum shutter speed, and I would not need to be concerned with the ISO Speed Setting.

Thanks for replying.

Lynnea

In M mode the shutter speed is whatever you set it to be; there is no "minimum" or "maximum". In Av mode with auto-ISO, the minimum shutter speed is the limit to which the shutter speed will be reduced before the ISO speed starts to be increased. I believe (though I'm not sure) that the shutter speed can go even lower, but only after the ISO speed has reached its maximum value.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP

@Lynnea1941wrote:

Thanks for replying.

Lynnea

Yes, you are correct.  Av mode allows for constant aperture.  Tv mode allows for a constant shutter speed.  If you want both to be a constant, then you need to use Manual mode.  The camera body can automatically set all three legs of the Exposure Triangle for you, like Green [A] mode.  It can also set any two, any one, or none of the legs of the Exposure Triangle for you.

I shoot in Manual mode, with ISO Auto, most of the time.  The lower the ISO, the better.  So, the camera allows you to set a maximum ISO setting that can be used when the camera is in ISO Auto mode.  I set my 6D2 to max Auto ISO = 12800.  

If the camera wants a higher ISO, then I use exposure compensation to dial down the exposure, which is pretty rare, actually.  This approach is the exposure triangle at work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
VIP

"I have chose M mode and Auto ISO..."

Keep in mind, this is not 'manual' mode.  Anything you have the camera select something for you it is not manual mode.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!