cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic to a EOS 77D. Can I use an extension cord?

shustakc
Apprentice

I have to video a 1.5 hour lecture, and plan to use my new, Canon EOS 77D camera that just arrived.

I would like to use a wired lavalier mic on my lapel.  Can I add a 15 foot extension to the mic that goes with my Sony digital audio recorder, or is that going to pick up noise?

I'd rather not spend hundreds on a wireless system.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Couple of caveats:

Untitled.jpg

And make sure that the extension is for a stereo microphone (Tip Ring Sleve), not mono (Tip Sleve)

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@shustakcwrote:

I have to video a 1.5 hour lecture, and plan to use my new, Canon EOS 77D camera that just arrived.

I would like to use a wired lavalier mic on my lapel.  Can I add a 15 foot extension to the mic that goes with my Sony digital audio recorder, or is that going to pick up noise?

I'd rather not spend hundreds on a wireless system.

Thanks

Recording time limitations aside, you will most likely pick up noise. if you use an extension cable with an unbalanced microphone.  The noise will most likely be a line frequency hum, or buzz.  The longer the cable, the louder the noise pickup.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

So that's why the Canon XA11 video cam offers XLR inputs. 

Other than a extremely expensive wireless mic, how can I solve this problem?  Can you adapt the Canon jack to XLR, and run XLR for the 15 foot length?

Thanks

@shustakcwrote:

So that's why the Canon XA11 video cam offers XLR inputs. 

Other than a extremely expensive wireless mic, how can I solve this problem?  Can you adapt the Canon jack to XLR, and run XLR for the 15 foot length?

Thanks

They do make adapters, but they introduce signal loss and narrow bandwidth.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements