cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menu & Info buttons not working on EOS 80D

Eltiempo10
Apprentice

So full admission, my camera got soaked in a rainstorm last summer in Virginia.  The camera stopped working for a bit.   Threw it in rice for a week, and amazingly, everything came back online with the camera. 

Everything -- EXCEPT the Menu and Info buttons.  No matter what I do, those two buttons won't do anything.  I can still get the rear display to work -- and live shooting works too.  Heck, even the built in flash works.   But those two buttons --- don't work.  

I've been able to manage for some time without using those two buttons -- but I recently got a new phone -- and now need to access the menu to get the new wifi settings created for the new phone.  

I can't -- and can't figure out some backdoor way into the menus. 

Any advice on what to do?  I already sent the camera to Canon -- who wanted to charge me $1K to fix the camera -- insane considering I can buy a new body for less.  

Thanks all! 

Shaun 

7 REPLIES 7

Ray-uk
Whiz

Buy a new camera and make sure you carry some sort of weather protection with you even if it is just a polythene bag in your pocket.

9 times out of ten if your camera gets wet it will kill something, not necessarily right away but it can fail weeks later when corrosion sets in.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Ray-uk has the right advice. Major repairs often cost more than a new item because the work is all manual technician work. New products are factory built with robotic tooling.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eltiempo10 wrote:

So full admission, my camera got soaked in a rainstorm last summer in Virginia.  The camera stopped working for a bit.   Threw it in rice for a week, and amazingly, everything came back online with the camera. 

Everything -- EXCEPT the Menu and Info buttons.  No matter what I do, those two buttons won't do anything.  I can still get the rear display to work -- and live shooting works too.  Heck, even the built in flash works.   But those two buttons --- don't work.  

I've been able to manage for some time without using those two buttons -- but I recently got a new phone -- and now need to access the menu to get the new wifi settings created for the new phone.  

I can't -- and can't figure out some backdoor way into the menus. 

Any advice on what to do?  I already sent the camera to Canon -- who wanted to charge me $1K to fix the camera -- insane considering I can buy a new body for less.  

Thanks all! 

Shaun 

Could you use the EOS utility (with USB cable) to assign the menu to the Set Button in the custom controls menu? (pages 434 -439 in full manual) 

Eltiempo10
Apprentice
I’ll take a look at trying that. I hooked it up to the computer last night and while I could change some settings (like the copyright placed on photos), it didn’t seem like I could get too advanced, but I’ll check those manual pages and give it a try.

Outside of these buttons not working, the camera continues to function quite well. I’m planning to buy a replacement when the 90D comes around, but that’s been quite the wait so far.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got home from work, I tried to assign the menu function to the set button using the EOS utility. As you said, there doesn't seem to be an option to access the menus that way either. Sounds like you will have to get it repaired.

Mikecheck
Apprentice

My camera, after 3 years, is doing the same thing and it isn’t normal. Normally when you turn the screen on you a screen that shows shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and various other things. When I turn the camera on none of this is there and I have to press “Q” for it to show me. Another weird thing is it says sensor cleaning when I turn the camera on and not off. Hopefully this is just a setting

what shall i do?

Welcome. I am assuming you have an 80D. 

Did you try cycling through the Menu button?

Try resetting camera settings. Yellow menu #4. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements