cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Memory Card Question

billybobboy42
Contributor

Some vendors on EBay that sell memory cards (SDHX), particularly 64 & 128 gigabyte sizes, warn to determine if your device can read these higher memory cards before ordering, since in many cases they are not returnable due to an ordering mistake.  I have a Canon 6d and Vixia HF S30.  Both use SD type cards.  I recently tried a 64 gig SDHX (Cat 10) in both cameras with no problem.  My question, thus, will they read/write a 128 gig card?  I cannot find any reference in my owner's manuals on this subject.  The references only cover minumum read/write speeds for video functions.  I would be quite disappointed to purchase a 128 card only to discover my equipment won't handle it.

I also have a Canon 20d that I also don't know what is the max memory it can handle.

Any response will be appreciated.

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Skirball
Authority

I looked into it a bit when I got my 6D and I couldn't find any spec from Canon on the max size, only that it accepts the new SDXC format.  The format theoretically can be expanded to two terabytes, though cards that large aren’t on the market yet.  Since Canon didn’t specify the max size I’d like to think that you can go as large as SDXC allows, but I doubt Canon would stand behind that if it starts acting wonky at larger sizes.

I played it safe and got a 64 gig card, which after using 8s and 16s, is awesome.  I’ve heard of people using 128 without issue.  Anybody chime in with successful 256 gig use?

I believe the 20D is capped at 8 gig CF.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

I looked into it a bit when I got my 6D and I couldn't find any spec from Canon on the max size, only that it accepts the new SDXC format.  The format theoretically can be expanded to two terabytes, though cards that large aren’t on the market yet.  Since Canon didn’t specify the max size I’d like to think that you can go as large as SDXC allows, but I doubt Canon would stand behind that if it starts acting wonky at larger sizes.

I played it safe and got a 64 gig card, which after using 8s and 16s, is awesome.  I’ve heard of people using 128 without issue.  Anybody chime in with successful 256 gig use?

I believe the 20D is capped at 8 gig CF.

I have 256Gb Lexar SDXC card with 6D. Nothing seems to be wrong so far. I got it as a gift. But the card is formatted as exFAT instead of FAT so my old card reader doesn't read it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Skirball, actually 64 gig is more than enough memory for me. Plus, I use a standalone hard drive (FOCI) to back up images when traveling. Since I had not used my 20D for some time, I checked my supply of CFs and discovered I had used a 32 gig card. And it worked.
Announcements