cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marks on photo

Boers3un
Apprentice

Hi All, 

I am new to the forums so please move if this is not the correct place for this. I recently bought a second hand 80D and noticed some marks on the photo. I tried different lenses and all do the same. so I think it might be the camera? 

I have attached some photos showing the issue:

The first photo is not zoomed in the second one is showing the marks more clearly. 

Foto.PNGFoto2.PNG

8 REPLIES 8

amfoto1
Authority

Those appear to be something on the sensor (things in lenses don't show up much.... have to be large and very obvious to the naked eye, to appear at all in images... anything seen in the viewfinder also cannot show up in images, are either on the mirror or the focus screen, not the sensor, so are merely a nuisance).

If the spots are in the same place in every image, that confirms it's something on the sensor.  You also can try setting the lens to it's smallest aperture, then defocusing it and take a shot of something plain like the clear blue sky or a wall with no  detail.

Judging from their appearance, I wouldl guess that someone did a sensor cleaning that didn't get everything off the camera's sensor. Most likely, a careful "wet cleaning" will be needed. You can either do it yourself or have it done by an experienced tech (either someone local or sending it in to Canon's service dept.). It's not difficult, but does require care to avoid possible damage to the camera. Proper tools and supplies to do the job many times will cost you around $100... maybe a little more.

To help you decide whether or not to tackle the job yourself, I cannot attach a link here, but if you Google a website about cleaningdigitalcameras you will find very comprehensive and useful information about sensor cleaning. The guys who run that site are professional techs who've done many cleanings and run Micro-Tools, one of the top suppliers of tools and supplies to the camera repair industry. They offer virtually every known sensor cleaning product and don't manufacture them, so give reasonably unbiased info about what works and how to use it. 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Send it to Canon for a C&C.  It will come back like new.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Boers3un
Apprentice
Thanks but what is a C&C?

Clean and check.

EB

Boers3un
Apprentice
Ahhhh okay cool thanks will see what I can find. Would like to learn how to clean it as well so I will watch some videos. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the help guys

There is a problem with doing it you if you don't know what's going on. Cleaning the sensor isn't a real big job but Canon will make sure the 'marks' are actually just that, marks on the sensor. They will check everything.

EB

If you are in Albuquerque the first week of October, Canon will be there cleaning sensors for free. 8^)

Something else is happening that week...Oh yeah, the Canon Balloon Fiesta.

@Boers3un wrote:
Ahhhh okay cool thanks will see what I can find. Would like to learn how to clean it as well so I will watch some videos. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the help guys

It's a good idea to learn to clean the sensor and have the proper tools and supplies on hand... no telling when you might need it and don't have time to send it or drop it off for a cleaning.

But purchasing a used camera, a C&C might be a good idea.

80D has a self-cleaning sensor. That uses ultrasonic vibration to "shake off" any dust that's settled onto the sensor (it gets trapped by adhesive strips adjacent to the sensor).

And I can tell you, it works well! I shot with cameras that didn't have self-cleaining sensors and had to do cleainings fairly often... sometimes every month or few weeks when shooting in particularly dusty conditions.

With newer cameras that have self-cleaning sensor, I find manual cleanings are needed far less often. Sometimes only once a year or so!

However, self-cleaning sensors can't help with oil spots and some other things. To me the spots in your images look like smeared oil, as if someone used a "dry" cleaning method (brush or a low tack adhesive), which can handle dust but won't remove oils. That's why I said a "wet" cleaning was needed.

Videos might be helpful, but I'd still recommend a thorough read of the website I mentioned previously. Much more info there than can be packed into a video. Also be sure to do the test images with f/22 and defocused lens, first.... to be certain that it's actually something on the sensor (anything on there will be physically located upside down and backwards from what you see in images).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Announcements