cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking photos

midnattsol
Contributor

I shoot HS football and I need to find a way to be able to mark photos during the game so when I WI FI them to my phone on breaks I can find quickly. I can't weed through 100s of pics to find the ones I want to post.  I have tried "rating" them but I don't see that when I look on my phone. I understand it will show when I download but looking for a fast way to upload during the game. Any help out there? 

15 REPLIES 15

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

That is where the 'helper', suggested a couple times comes in to play.  The laptop can move !  

Having the laptop move just complicates the problem. The OP is looking for almost immediate transmission to his media base location, which means that the laptop would need two wi-fi connections: one to the camera and one to a router connected to the Internet. And each of those wi-fi connections must be no greater than 1100 feet. I wouldn't want to try it under professional time pressure. The farthest I'd dare to go would be to have an assistant in the press box with a laptop configured as a wi-fi access point and wired to the Internet. (The operating system might conceivably require the laptop to be configured as a router, but in principle it could be merely an access point.)

But very frankly, I can't really see any of this being justified for anything less than the impeachment of a President or the selection of a Pope.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob

Bobby you need to stop using those stone tablets and chisels.  It is quite easy to connect to my, free from Sprint, hotspot.

I tether a lot of the time for certain situations.  A DSLR with wi-fi, a Mac laptop and the Sprint hotspot should have no problem doing this.

I usually hard wire (active USB) to the laptop so the wi-fi part is the only difference I see. I don't have a wi-fi camera.  If that only works for 1100 feet get a helper to follow along. At some point the photographer has to use the laptop to decide what to u/l to the ole inner web anyway.

Oh, on second thought forget it. It's impossible, Not !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob

Bobby you need to stop using those stone tablets and chisels.  It is quite easy to connect to my, free from Sprint, hotspot.

I tether a lot of the time for certain situations.  A DSLR with wi-fi, a Mac laptop and the Sprint hotspot should have no problem doing this.

I usually hard wire (active USB) to the laptop so the wi-fi part is the only difference I see. I don't have a wi-fi camera.  If that only works for 1100 feet get a helper to follow along. At some point the photographer has to use the laptop to decide what to u/l to the ole inner web anyway.

Oh, on second thought forget it. It's impossible, Not !

Ah, Ernie, I've said pretty much all I can think of to say on this matter. And I still have lots of pictures to edit from my wife's 55th reunion at Boston University. So I'll exit with this one remaining thought: Your, free from Sprint, hotspot is a feature of your cell phone service. It is not wi-fi.

OK, one further point (sorry!). Are you seriously suggesting that your helper follow you up and down a football field with a laptop wired to your camera? I want to be there to see that!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

thanks to everyone for chiming in. I cannot have a helper on the sidelines so it is a moot point. I don't think there is an answer to this one. 

Unfortunately, the answers are all too limited at this time. Maybe in a few years they will have portable WiFi that can  be carried in a pocket, broadcast to a receiver like the big TV broadcaster do. But you can't be shooting and editing at the same time regardless. You do need an assistant or cohort.

An alternative I would suggest is to have a spot (press box maybe) where you could run to during half time to download to a computer, scan quickly, and send what you choose to your target. 

Good luck. 

Bob

Your reply is typical from someone that doesn't have to get the shot.  People like me that do not have that option. We find a way to make it happen.

More slowly for you.  The wi-fi to the Mac.  The Mac to the hop-spot to the iphone and on to the web.  Really doesn't sound that difficult does it?  

As for the active USB, maybe not the top of the list of solutions but a possible one if the wi-fi fails.  Shooting is always easier when  you can have an assistant.  That not being possible just has to be overcome.  That's all.

Do you have any idea how many wired devices are on a pro football field?  They have people that do nothing but hold wires.  I am not saying do it or not just that the active USB is a possibility.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements