cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mark IV processing slowly

RobinS1
Apprentice

I just started using the 5D Mark IV.  It processes too slowly, giving me a BUSY message, taking more than 3 sec. to process!  I also can not shoot in bursts.  Am I missing a setting that does not allow me to process quickly?  My 5Ds is amazinginly fast and I can easily shoot in bursts.  What I am doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
18 REPLIES 18

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@RobinS1 wrote:
Sorry, what is DLO?

Digital Lens Optimizer.

If you shoot in RAW, you don't need it, because you can apply it in post-processing.

And the only compelling reason that I've found to shoot JPEG is to get the picture to a newspaper in a hurry. Believe me when I tell you that photo reproduction in newspapers isn't nearly good enough to have it make a particle of difference whether DLO is used.

When I shoot RAW, the camera seems to ignore the DLO setting.  At least it has no effect on shooting speed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

raghuviju
Apprentice
Yes, I am shooting for RAW+JPEG.
Is that all we get for this? When I shoot any actions it takes only 12 shutters after that a huge buffer. After using 300mbps tough card

Kvbarkley is spot on, it is performing exactly as expected when forced to create simultaneous RAW plus jpeg output.

Unless you absolutely must have immediate jpg output, go with RAW only or if buffer depth is critical then take the otherwise suboptimal choice of jpg only.

If you need redundancy then RAW OR jpeg to both cards and make sure both are very fast in terms of actual sustained write speed.  Look at actual card tests carefully because many claim a high burst rate but their burst and shooting a sustained camera burst are two very different things, you camera needs cards capable of supporting a sustained high write speed while the often highlighted very fast read speed isn't helpful in terms of shooting bursts.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

raghuviju
Apprentice
it pauses and then 12 more after sometime

Sounds like your buffer is filling so speed slows down to allow the buffer to clear. If speed is really needed try setting RAW to the CF card only since it is the faster card. Save JPEG to the SD card. 

Also verify the speed of the cards you are using. 

55E27151-FAF4-4DA3-9D00-F705C7BAD945.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I use a SanDisk CF UDMA 7 Extreme Pro and SanDisk SD UHS-1, I go for redundency so Raw gets writen to both cards. My experience with high speed burst is it shoots approximately 2-3 seconds before stopping, but if I immediately press the shutter again, it picks back up for another 2+ second, then starts to slow down.

I'm primarily a nature photographer and use burst even when I'm not tracking a subject. It works great for shooting flowers when it's a little windy (with the help of high shutter speeds). Fortunately, I always have a 7D II on hand when I need to do longer tracks.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The SD card is slower, so it will govern performance when recording the same files to both cards.

When the early 1D series sports/journalism cameras came out, before the availability of WiFi, the concept was RAW to the CF cards and JPEG to the SD cards. Runners would come to the photogs periodically and swap SD cards to the production folks could get images on line or to the printers quickly.

Now it can be an individual decision - sacrifice shooting speed for redundancy or risk a card failure but not miss as many shots. I have never had a card failure, so up through my 1D Mark IV I didn’t shoot RAW + JPEG to both cards.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, I've never had a failure either, but play "what if?". Truth be told, I like the convenience of just using the SD to dump shots to my laptop via the built in reader, which is my workstation. As for missing shots, I've never filled my buffer on a shoot. But I have tested it 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements