cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual underexposure 7D mark ii

drjay
Apprentice
When I set a shutter speed and aperture in manual mode after measuring the actual ambient light with a separate light meter, the exposure appears typically underexposed. Am I missing something? The ISO's between meter and camera match, etc.
5 REPLIES 5

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

What brand light meter are you using?

Are you holding the meter at the subject or at the camera?

Is it an incident light meter or a reflected light meter?

Kenko 1100

Holding at subject

Incident (ambient)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry no explanation. 

However, I did come across this Canon Learning Center video that pointed out some interesting features of the 7D Mk II's built in metering. The dual spot metering feature was especially interesting to me. 

Controlling the look of your images with the Canon EOS 7D Mark II's new exposure control functions

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

How far off? Since each device has a tolerance they may be in opposite directions so the errors add.

Does the camera expose correctly in reflected mode i.e. the in-camera meter? Does the hand held give appropriate results with a different camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John got this one.  I have seen numerous mis-matched held help meters and cameras.  It is always better to meter light at the subject instead of at the camera.  Are you holding each at the same place?  A hand held light meter does not go through the lens for one reason.

Unless you have a high end meter, I would got with the 7D Mk II all the time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements